How can I tell my mother in law that she gossips to much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• You can't really. Your best bet is to change the subject when she starts up. When she says something, nod and then say Oh! Did you see the dancers on TV last night? or whatever back up conversations you've prepared ahead of time so that you have something you can use as a diversion. Ask her about a recipe or a fashion idea or whatever you can think about to get her attention away from what she wanted to talk about.

Answer by Bmat at 3:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Next time she does it, call her on it. Make a joke out of it, a joke, but not really a joke. You know?
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• You could say, "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that happened to Jillian... I don't feel comfortable hearing any details without talking to her first." Or jsut every single thing she says that is gossipy, say cheerfully, "Well, there are always two sides to every story, and the truth is usually in the middle!" Just every single time, just happy as a lark, say the same thing like it's the first time you ever said it. You will become a very unfun person to gossip to.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Thanks Collinsky
    amayznlove1104

Answer by amayznlove1104 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Well, lol..first hand. change the topic. If that doesnt wrokand she doesnt get the hint, mention that you noticed how you have been gossiping so much and are trying not to do that. Then next time she starts gossiping, just walk away or change topics and stick to that topic.
    After a while, GMIL started to get the point. Now i keep the conversations short, and watch my gossiping.
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2009