How Do you teach a 13month old NO?

My daughter will be 14 months on April 22nd, she knows what I mean when I say no, ouchie, icky, bad etc. but she will not listen to me at all. I'll say no and she'll turn around and look at me and smile..... I have no clue what to do it's the same with her dad she won't listen. She recently climbed on the chair and I told her no and she did it not even a minute later. I'll lightly smack her hand and it does nothing so I really need some advice on this.

Brittney_Babee

Asked by Brittney_Babee at 3:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Remove her from what ever it is you are saying no to. If she still doesn't listen then you sit her down in the naughty chair/or timeout chair for 5 mins. You have to be consistant though. If you put her in the naughty chair then make her sit there, even if you have to stand right there with her for the full five mins. Eventually she will learn.
    Familytyme

Answer by Familytyme at 3:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Time and patience are the cure. This is actually very, very normal.

Redirect her to something else ("No climbing on the chair, climb on the ___ instead") or remove her from the area. Expect her to test you any way. She's not really testing YOU though. She's actually trying to figure out just what a rule is, how it works, and what happens when she obeys is or breaks it. Think of it this way - how many times have you told her to not throw toys? And how many times have you (or will you) say "throw mommy the ball"? Then you'll add in "Don't play ball in the house!" Think about that from her point of view... why is it ok to throw some toys, some of the time, but not other toys, all the time? Rules are complex and very hard to learn. She'll be working on this for the next 2 DECADES.

Time and patience. You and she will get there.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• It takes a while. just be consistant and patient. They are learning SO much that she's also probably testing to see what she can get away with.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• lol mine is doing the SAME thing! he likes to push the on/off button on the tv and no matter what we say or do he just turns and gives us this coy look right befor he turns it on or off again and it is really hard to resist smiling back at him for being so cute but i know i have to be strong! lol.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 4:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2009