What's your nap routine?

My DD is 10 1/2 months and we've always given her a bottle and rocked with her for naptime. Now we're getting close to the point of not using bottles anymore, so I need some ideas for a new nap routine. I'll keep rocking if she'll sit still :) But I would like to add something else that cues her into the fact it's time to sleep. Her bedtime routine is great--she takes a bath and reads a book and gets a bottle and falls asleep (usually). We'll probably keep the nighttime bottle for awhile but I want to start no bottle naps soon. Any ideas? What's worked for you?

mkemom519

Asked by mkemom519 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is now 18 months old. I started to introduced her to a sippy at 10 months. how i got her off to a good nap routine was by i would give her/him luch around 11:30 - 12. make sure the baby has the bottle or sipy cup with the lunch. then after taht i wouls read a book just like you would for bed time and that usually helps. Lay him or her down in bed its okay if they start crying keep the door open half way and then if you keep this up youll have your nap time when you want it.
    michaelamanda07

Answer by michaelamanda07 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Naptimes for us were always us putting them in bed, covering them up (even in the crib), telling them good night and leaving the room.

When they were off the bottle, we gave a snack about 1/2 hour before nap and when they were done, put them to bed.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I wish I had a routine!! My daughter fights napping and bedtime all together!
    FluffyMountains

Answer by FluffyMountains at 4:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• yeah, the thing with putting her in her crib and leaving is that she'll stay awake for at least an hour talking and playing in her crib. Sometimes that's okay, and if she would fall asleep after that it would be great. But usually it ends up with her talking for an hour and then crying and screaming. Nap time ends up being way later than I'd intended and she ends up overtired...
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 5:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• 10,2,and8 is bed time
    crapppppy

Answer by crapppppy at 6:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I recently had to go thru this as well. Except i brestfed. I try to make sure that her naps are around the same excact time everyday. I lay with her and yes she dose cry a little sometimes. I just try to comfort her as much as possibale and read to her or sing to her and she is now doing great with it. They need that comfort for a short while after you take the bottle or breat from them. good luck
    CassieLee0310

Answer by CassieLee0310 at 1:01 AM on Apr. 8, 2009