How would you handle this?(pro cleaning services are not what I would expect)

My son is scheduled for surgery soon and to help us out a neighbor offered to pay a cleaning service for the next 3 months. Well I wanted them to come about a week before his surgery because I have been really busy getting things arranged so that the surgery can go as smooth as possible without me worrying about the house being clean, ect. Well I came home last night after the cleaning service left. There was oatmeal on the side of the table, while the top was spotless. Mirrors still had toothpaste spatters and cleaning supplies (sprays and rags) were left sitting on my counter and the vaccume was left sitting in my hallway. Now since I am not paying for the service I am not sure how to handle it. Do I tell my neighbor and let her handle it or do I find out what service she is using and direct the problems to the supervisor? Aslo what should I expect from them in regards to what they clean/straighten up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I would mention it to the neighbor just because she is paying for a service and it is not up to what she is paying for. I would want someone to tell me.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would find out what service she is using, call them and find out exactly what their services are and then explain what you found. I do not think that is exceptable, and would deffinately complain. IF they are not willing to make it right or work with you, thengo to your friend and let her know the situation.
    Familytyme

Answer by Familytyme at 3:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Your neighbor did this a blessing to you, so I wouldn't bother her with it just yet. When I first started with a cleaning service, it took a couple of times before they were doing it to my satisfaction. I would make a list of everything they did wrong, then call them up. If they are reputable and stand by their work, then they should have no problem coming back out to correct it. For future cleanings, make a list for each room of what you want done. Often times what you think is important, they won't even think of and visa versa.
    Anonymous

• I have a cleaning service come in weekly just to do bathrooms (we have 4 of them and 3 boys if you count my husband, so they get pretty gross pretty quickly!), and dusting/polishing, and the same service does quarterly detailed cleanings of the bathrooms and kitchen. I do the floors, windows, laundry, beds etc.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't say anything to your neighbor as it might seem like you're ungrateful and she'd probably be embarrassed too. I would make sure to be there the next time the cleaning service was scheduled to go over it with them, and if you absolutely cannot be there, make sure to leave a detailed note, outlining your expectations. Saying something to the neighbor should be the LAST resort and avoided at all costs.
    Just one more thought--if the neighbor hired a "discount" cleaning service, or a franchise who has unsupervised labor, this might be the best you can expect from them. Try to be at home next time they come out and that's your best bet for getting it straightened out.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 6:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Definitely call them & report the issue. As far as the cleaning supplies & vacuum, when I lived with my in-laws, we had a cleaning service once a month & they never put things away. We left everything out on the table & items were returned to the table. It was just easier that way. If the service wasn't sure where things went, they may have thought it better to leave things out. I wouldn't call your neighbor until after you talk to a supervisor at the cleaning service company. Then you can make your decision based on what the supervisor says. Plan on making a specific list for next time or being home if you can.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 7:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would leave a note for the cleaning people in a place where they can easily see it, just with specific areas for them to focus on (Bathroom: mirror, toilet, tub, floors. Kitchen: floors and counters, rinse dishes, etc.) , and that you would appreciate them putting their supplies away when finished (and let them know where "away" is, they might just need to be told).

I would make talking to your neighbor a last option, try the note first, then talking to the company, and then dealing with minor problems on your own. You might come across as ungrateful for your neighbors generosity, when I'm sure that isn't your intention at all!
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 1:38 AM on Apr. 8, 2009