Themed birthday, does the cake have to match?

We are going to be doing our first birthday party soon, and I am planning on making the birthday cake. I have always made the little ones birthday cakes. I did a blues clues and a barbie cake, the problem is is my little ones wants the Little Mermaid. I am thinking that that is a little to hard for me. I don't want it to be the scariest cake in the world. Should I do something that I feel a little more comfortable with. I found a cake pan that is a giant cup cake and I thought that was a really cute idea but hubby says that she wants Little Mermaid and that is what her cake should be. What is your take? I just really want to make the cake and at the same time I want it to be special for her. I did not grow up celebrating birthdays so this is a whole new thing for me and I kind of want to do the first actual birthday party right.

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 3:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I don't think it matters at all. I think the cup cake would be great. Also for little mermaid you could make it blue tinted and just put the plastic characters on it. Honestly though it really doesn't matter...as long as it is tasty and your child is happy don't sweat it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My friend ALWAYS makes amazing cakes for all of her kids. She subscribes to a magazine called family fun. I just checked out the website for a mermaid cake and found this!

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefinder/display?id=50165

It looks really easy. You could make the hair red to be like Ariel. I think it's darling.

good luck!

Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I agree with your husband about the little mermaid cake. But ria7 has a good point ~ you don't have to make the cake into the shape of a mermaid, nor do you have to "draw" a mermaid. You can buy the characters and put them on top. Maybe decorate the rest as a sea scene.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 4:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I'd find someone to make her "Little Mermaid" , as I wouldn't want to disappoint her on her B-day!!
    Becki.Nagy

Answer by Becki.Nagy at 4:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My son made a cute under the sea themed cake for his dad's b'day last year. It was based on a cupcake idea but he chose to make a sheet cake. We frosted it with sea blue buttercream then decorated it with swedish fish, graham crumbs along the bottom for sand, and seaweed made from green pull and peel twizzlers. Wicked easy and you could make it a Little Mermaid cake by putting a few characters on there.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Wait a minute, she's ONE and demanding the Little Mermaid?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• This is for my middle childs 3rd birthday. We have not had one yet for our 4 year old or our 1 year old because of Daddy being deployed and I am just not sure what to do.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2009