Do recycleables have to be cleaned?

I just toss the plastic bottles, milk, mayo and what not into the recycle bin. The hubster expects me to wash them. Im like wtf? I have enough dishes..im not about to start washing garbage too.

roxxxy

Asked by roxxxy at 3:46 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Yes, the directions we have are to wash the item first. I don't go overboard rinsing, just wash and get most of the suds out and shake it out and put it in the bag. Otherwise besides drawing bugs the bag would get pretty funky.

Answer by Bmat at 3:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• i think it depends on your waste company. we don't have to do anything with ours but my mother in law has to wash hers and take off the labels and such. what a waste of time.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I've alway's rinsed only!!
    Becki.Nagy

Answer by Becki.Nagy at 4:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I do wash them & take off the labels Etc.. Especially in the Summer when it would all mold & smell if I didn't!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:03 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• We are asked to rinse them out, but we don't have to remove labels or anything.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• We have to wash ours out because we aren't allowed to dispose of them in trash bags anymore in Oswego county, NY...And when I bring our trash to the landfill, I have to empty the bags of recyclables in one bin and throw the bags in the separate trash bin. It gets REALLY freakin messy if they aren't at least semi clean. I learned that the hard way.
    witchymommaCNY

Answer by witchymommaCNY at 1:30 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I don't mind washing them out first. I don't want the stench or the rats/pests that can come along with garbage.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:44 AM on Apr. 15, 2009