What Are My Rights?

Do I have rights concerning my step son and step daughter? Mom isnt really apart of there lives but when its convenient for her, she has seen them 0 times last yr, 2 times this yr made 1 visit and showed for sons graduation, she consistently tries to run MY house and (her) kids are very distant from her. At graduation sd sat with her friends instead of her mom. Dad has full physical custody and we are 100% raising them ourselves with out her help. She doesnt pay her child support, and she makes false promises of paying or helping out with things ,like graduation suit, i- pods for christmas etc etc, (we end up fulfilling the empty promises.) what rights do i have if bm isnt really involved? Im raising them! She has a party life and see's them and tries to step in when its most conveinant for her! what can I do!! The kids are dissappointed enough with her!

Asked by HotmomSimondi at 1:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• I'm not understanding your question. Legal rights? moral rights? if so, what are you wanting to do that dad can't take care of that requires rights? You can set boundaries in your home and with the support of h you can stop her from trying to control your household. That wouldn't require rights though, it would require a spouse who recognized, supported and respected your role in the life of his children.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Well if you are raising them in your home you have plenty of rights. I was raised in a home with my Mom and Step-Dad (who I actually called Dad because I wanted too). He would ground me, punish me, take my things way (if I acted up), bought me things, and loved me as his own. One thing HE NEVER did was spoke ill of my bio-Dad and would tell me that I should always give him a chance. My bio-Dad sounds a lot like the BM in this case. As a child growing up, I wasn't stupid, I knew that my Dad wasn't keeping me away from my bio-Dad. You mention graduation?? Does that mean these kids are older jr/high school. If so stop trying to fulfill her empty promises. Believe they know by now what their mom is like. Just continue to love and support them and don't be afraid to take away the ipod if the grades are there, you know... Good Luck!

Answer by SAHMinIL at 2:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2008