Religion at home...?

Are you and your dh/so the same beliefs?
If not is that upsetting to you? Were you at one time? If your dh/so isn't of the same faith, are you trying to change them? Are you disappointed in them?
If you are of the same, were you both this way from the begining or did you change later on together?
And the children, how are you raising them in religion?
This question is for everyone...

To answer my own
Dh and I were of the same faith when we got married... I am now Wiccan he is still Lutheran (non practicing)... I am not nor ever will try to change his beliefs, but at times wonder if he actually still believes...
Our gs is being raised with an open mind to all religions and will be able to choose his own path when the time comes...
And before it's asked, NO I will NOT be dissapointed in our gs if he chooses to follow a Christian path... I will proud of him for choosing what "FITS" him...

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 4:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ohhh good question!
    DH was raised catholic and then born again christian(stepdad). He abhores organized religion and thats putting it mildly LOL. That said he's always believed in a higher being and been very spiritual just didnt like organized stuff.

I was raised in a very christian home, church every Sunday, scripture study,etc. Did missionary work and all that. He knew it was very important to me and admired the family aspect of it all. He never tried to sway me or poo-poo what I held dear. I did the same for him.

He eventually got baptized into my church(long story there) and we went when we could.

Early 2007 after some soul searching and other types of searching I left that church and found Paganism/Wicca. He went with me. We both realized things about ourselves that we'd never allowed to surface before.

Our kids will be taught to question and find their own path.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 4:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• This is a great question!

DH and I are both Christian. We have many of the same beliefs about stuff that really matters, but there are some little things that we disagree on. All in all, though, we try to stay out of religious conversations, LOL.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• We are both Protestant Christian. The similarities end there. I am Presbyterian, he is Lutheran. I know the intricacies of my religion and denomination, he knows the basic message of salvation. I am into the more spiritual aspect of following and relating to God rather than the ritualistic aspect, he believes that religion and spirituality are one in the same and are about the rules you follow. I am well versed in the Bible, he isn't. I feel it is important to attend church, he'll tag along but I'm thinking it is mostly for our son's benefit.  Raising him in a Christian home won't be a problem.  Problems will arise when our son has questions about what we believe and how to practice our beliefs and mom and dad have different answers about what that means.  My husband is concerned about being a "good person" and not a total leech on society.  (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Are you and your dh/so the same beliefs? Nope
    If not is that upsetting to you? Nope
    Were you at one time? Nope
    If your dh/so isn't of the same faith, are you trying to change them? Nope Are you disappointed in them? Nope

We're not. They're their own person. They can choose what's right for them when they're old enough to really understand all the aspects that go into religion & can research them on their own. Until that time comes, I incorporate lessons on world religions into our homeschooling as the opportunity arises & don't teach that any of them are necessarily right or wrong... and I till them that' they're kids & that they should just enjoy being kids and not worry about complicated stuff like 'religion' right now.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 4:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I place more importance on faith and relationship with God. We also clash over tithing. I believe in giving to the Church and my husband sweats every time our money goes ANYWHERE. I believe that giving a small percentage of what we make is the least we could do for the God that provides for us and offers us salvation. My husband has trouble letting go and relying on God to provide if we are faithful to him.

(cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I think the real issue might be with my MIL. She had a bad experience growing up in the Catholic church and it seems like her stance would be that children should be allowed to follow religion if they want to but religion is basically a waste of time. I plan on raising our son in a Christian home. I truly believe that the Biblical God exists and that the Bible is true, therefore, I would be doing my child an injustice by not teaching him to praise the God that made him and leading him on the road to salvation. When he's old enough and should decide he doesn't believe or want to attend church, I won't make him. Faith cannot be forced. However, how can a child even begin to believe if he's not taught what it is he would be believing in? I'm here to provide guidance and to me, religious/spiritual guidance is part of that.
    NovemberLove

• When we got married, Dh was an agnostic Deist, and I was a pretty conservative Messianic Christian. When we started out I did hope that he would convert!

I'm now pantheist (Pagan), Dh is Buddhist. For us, there are enough similarities, agreements, and shared understanding that we can easily focus on those...most of the rest is just a difference in wording and in the practices that are meaningful to us. I am proud of my Dh in his spiritual walk and find him a source of wisdom and insight, and I find that it enhances our lives to have different perspectives.

We're raising our children in the UU church, learning about all faiths and ideas, and they're free to practice and believe as they are drawn. We celebrate, discuss, study, and live our faiths together, and they're part of that - but it isn't required that they participate or agree. I admit I'd like it if they stayed with the UU church, no matter what their theology.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Excellent question!
    Are you and your dh/so the same beliefs? No. I am SDA Christian, my DH is atheist.

If not is that upsetting to you? Not anymore.

Were you at one time? My DH used to say some very mean things about Christians (most false and very rude) and lumping ALL Christians into one category instead of as individuals.

If your dh/so isn't of the same faith, are you trying to change them? Not trying to change him but I do pray for him.

Are you disappointed in them? No, I am very proud of my husband and all that he has accomplished.

If you are of the same, were you both this way from the begining or did you change later on together? We are not the same now. But I fell away from religion for awhile and during that time we had the same beliefs. I have since come back to God.

(running out of room, will continue in another post)
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 4:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Great question. My SO & I were together as teens, apart for a few years & then together again later in our mid-twenties. As teens we both were Christians, but open minded & doubtful of aspects of Christianity that didn't mesh with our sensiblities. Now we are both no longer Christain. He is Agnostic for all intents & purposes. I have Neo Pagan  leanings with Agnostic tendencies, LOL. We raise my "step" Son without any religious influence whatsoever, but he is only three. I'll answer any of his questions, as I always do, as openly and honestly as I am capable. And he'll probably get a slightly more jaded response from my SO, but we'll see.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 4:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• And the children, how are you raising them in religion? The children attend my church with me. After Sabbath school and service we sit down together. If the kids have any questions about what they learned, we write them down. Then, as a family (all of us, including my husband), we sit down and discuss those questions. With both my husband and myself giving our own personal views/beliefs.

We are very open to the children choosing their own path of spirituality and we do not close the doors on any for our children. It is not for me to dictate what my children believe when they are adults, that is their choice and I will support them and be proud of them no matter what decision they make.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 4:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2009