Would you get induced on your due date or prefer to go late?

I would get induced. But no sooner than my due date. I hear a lot more tragedies in my experience when mothers go past 40 weeks than I do with mothers who get induced.

What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have mine planned out...im Due in 14 days (April 22nd)
    If the baby doesnt come out April 22nd, im going to be induced April 23rd.

And im not doing it out of being Selfish..i have my own personal reasons and im sure someone is going to comment on what i just said..

But we all have our own opinions on being induced.
    Anonymous

• yeah i've heard the same thing.. i'm too damn impatient and i dont think i could handle going past 40 weeks. lol.. but who knows what will acctually happen when i get there or what my dr will advise me to do.
    raehope

Answer by raehope at 4:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• well my baby is in the 85th percentile right now at 32 weeks so if i do make it to my due date i definately would NOT want to wait any longer!
    Anonymous

• Actually, there is no increased risk until after 42 weeks. You are not overdue until after 42 weeks, not 40 weeks.

I would allow my self to go past the 40 weeks *guess*. I wont get induced unless medically necessary. I would go past 42 weeks if the placenta was still holding up and if the baby was still getting all it's nutrients.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I'm not talking about scientific increased risk celtic, I'm talking about in my own experience the woman I know who have gone late have had some major issues including having to have a c section because the baby was too big, having their entire insides SOAKED and stained green with merconium, and even one still birth because the cord was tied in a knot.

The women I know who were induced and no problems whatsoever.
    Anonymous

• yeah the longer you wait the bigger the baby gets so its harder even to have a natural labor, but then again being induced doesnt guarentee the natural labor either unfortunately if your body isnt ready its not ready, you know? i was 8 days over due and i got induced and it still went nowhere, sigh so you just gotta do what you gotta do!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 4:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Oh my disheveld! hat ended up happening?
    Anonymous

• i meant what, not hat. haha.
    Anonymous

• Babies are rarely too big to birth, unless you are in a hospital stuck on your back, etc. The ACOG says to leave it alone unless the baby is over 11 lbs.

If you want to talk own experience, I know many women who had inductions end up in cesareans and babies in NICU because they weren't ready and they were at 39 weeks plus for those. I know a few women who went beyond 42 weeks (1 at 43, 1 at almost 45) with ZERO issues whatsoever.

Also, the cord being tied in a knot wont kill a baby I guess it *could* but I have seen births where the cords are tied in knots, wrapped around the body or neck more than once, and twisted. Its actually fairly common and rarely an emergency.

So yea, I wont get induced unless there is a reason. Been there, done that, and never again. .

Women really need to research birth more then just blindly trusting doctors.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I'm 30 weeks pregnant with my 3rd. My 1st was 8 days late...6lbs 8oz & my 2nd was right on time...8 4. I am afraid this baby is going to be too big to get him out. I had Pitocin with both deliveries & everything turned out fine. I wouldn't mind being induced this time, but not before my EDD.
    Anonymous