Do you favor a certain child out of your kids?

For the last 2 days i have seen my SIL favor her 3 boys over her DD. If the DD helps clean she doesn't say a word but if the boys help she gives them candy or when its bed time she would take all the toys out of there bedrooms and the boys will whine and my SIL will give the boy there toy they want while DD just watches and ask and then SIL would take more stuff out of her DD's room .. So do you favor? and should i tell her what i think ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I try not too, sometimes people on the outside see things that us on the "inside" dont see. Know what I mean? My son is 5.5 and VERY advanced, easy child. My dd is 3.5 and delayed and hyper. I love them both equally but in different ways. I expect a lot out of my son, he is mature and I know it. I am thrilled with my dd as well, but over smaller things. Sometimes I worry that I treat my son too mature and my dd to delayed. I try hard to even it out.
    Anonymous

• I only have one son. I was an only child so it was hard for me to understand how to equally love two children. My husband's mother really does baby her other son and tends to favor him over my husband. It makes no sense to me because my husband is a great person, great husband and great father. He is none of those things. But he is her obvious favorite. I see how much it hurts him and the emotional issues this has given him. So, I know some people do it but I wouldn't know first hand. That whole thing scares me and is a small part of why we chose to only have one. As far as if you should say something, I don't know. That's a personal decision that we can't make for you.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 4:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I grew up with my sister - I pretty much knew I was the favorite, although my mom would NEVER say that or treated us much different, we just got along better than she did with my older sister who would fight her on everything. I don't want to do that with my son so I have decided to only have the one. I Know it happens and I don't want it to.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My brother was an only child...for our mother.

I was the only child...for our dad.

rofl

As for my boys...it's tough sometimes. I think I might favor one over the other, but I also think it changes day to day. It depends on who has the biggest sensory issues on a given day, and if the youngest just needs some time.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Absolutely not. They are different people so I naturally love them in different ways but I love them all the same. That is just wrong and a great way for the LO to develop an inferiority complex..shame on her.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:07 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I admit, I sometimes prefer the baby to the 3 year old. I love him so much but he is at such a hard age. He whines about everything and it is so annoying.
    Anonymous