Sick during pregnancy...what can I do?!?!

Almost the entire time I've been pregnant(10 weeks) , my head's been all stuffy and my chest has been really congested. I've been coughing up icky stuff a lot lately, and I know that I can't take anything for it. My first prenatal visit isn't until next Monday (damn Tricare.), but I'm going CRAZY...and I'm worried about my baby....

KristinPaige

Asked by KristinPaige at 4:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Health

• There are the old fashioned remedies like a touch of eucalyptus just under the nose which can be purchased at the herb store. And the all time favorite, lemon and honey for coughing. When you think about it, cough syrup is made of alcohol and then a syrupy base. The lemon breaks the phelgm and the honey grabs hold and lets you cough it up. :)

Remember that you don't want to stop the cough, unless its a dry cough. When the body coughs, its trying to get rid of something that should be there. If the mucus stays then it could set up infection in the lungs. Not good when you are pg. :)

If you like the herbal thing, and I only do minor amounts of it to self medicate and heal, try buying some lavendar (like at bath and body works, or the herbal store) and put a touch on your pulse points. I believe that it helps relax the body and helps it sleep. Its an aromatherapy thing. ;) But I like the smell too.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 7:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Call to speak with a nurse.
    Anonymous

• The nurse that I spoke with just told me to take a hot shower, offering only very temporary results.
    KristinPaige

Answer by KristinPaige at 4:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Ha. Welcome to government healthcare and motherhood. Oh the joys of it all.
    It only gets worse sweetheart, God is just making you stronger.
    Anonymous