That was a quick denial

So less than an hour ago, i applied for a job at guaranty bank. I have worked in banks before and was very good at it. However i have not worked in one since 2006. And yes my credit it not good anymore because of young, careless mistakes. Anyways, i already got a email response that said my credit did not qualify enough for a position with the bank. Wow i didn't know they would deny you solely based on your credit without even meeting you or chekcing references. I knew they would look at it but i thought they would at least meet me first. And check out employers and references. But they didn't they just ran credit report and denied the application. Did anyone else know places did that? I was shocked. I literally has been maybe an hour since i submitted the application.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• Because the economy is so bad there are TONS of applicants for one position. They have so many people to choose from they are only going with the highest qualified
    Anonymous

• A bank will do that. You are dealing with money on a daily basis. I wish you luck in finding another job.

Anonymous

• well working at a bank i would assume they will check your credit but thats crazy, and anon just because she has bad credit shouldn't mean shes not qualified, expirience and education are what makes you qualified
    Anonymous

• :37-obviously she didnt' meet the requirements or she wouldn't have received a denial
    Anonymous

• Banks and other jobs dealing with money have done this for a very long time. While it's a huge generalization, they assume that you would be at greater risk of stealing money if you have bad credit or that you would be more likely to make errors. Of course, someone with excellent credit can steal and make mistakes, and having bad credit doesn't necessarily mean you will steal or make mistakes. It's just a tool they use to start weeding people out. It will become more commonplace with other types of jobs too.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Most places run credit checks on employees who will be handling money. Any time you are in contact with money, they know everything about you....they run every check known to man. My husband has to have a credit check before each promotion he gets.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 5:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My husbands employer did a credit check on him and he does not handle money. He is an executive and they look at credit so show how responsible a person is. They are also looking for any lawsuits from former employers or from creditors. I think they are fine wished I could have done them when I was a manager years ago. Would have helped in screening potential employees.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely, I know companies that will deny you employment if your credit is poor. I was a background investigator for those applying to work in a nuclear plants. If their credit was poor, it was points against them and they weren't hired.

We used to laugh tho, amongst ourselves in the office, that if they had a criminal record they could be a supervisor straight up!!
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I couldn't get hired at a movie store several years ago because of my credit. Kinda got a kick out of that, like just because I have less than stellar credit, they think I'ma steal movies or something lmao
    Anonymous