Do you ever feel like you are very short with your kids?

You don't mean too be impatient but damn...

I try not to be this way but they make it so hard I have to really get upset with them to listen then all is ok but that is after I get all upset and my blood pressure just shooting up. OH but when dh is here they are perfect angels.
Why can't I get the same treatment I spank too when neccesary. With daddy they walk the line. If anything I am the nice guy they get away with everything with me you would think it would be the opposite. Needed to let some steam out thanks cm for listening...whew!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• um to simply answer your question yes i do get that want so vent away girl
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 4:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Yes I get that way sometimes, mostly it is over behavior at school. You answered your own problem in your question. "If anything I'm the nice guy they get away with everything with me..." That is why you have to get so upset to get them to listen. I bet they get away with nothing when Dad is around. Set your foot down...tell them the days of pushing mom around are over....and mean it. Follow through, be consistant.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Lately I've been losing it with my 2 kids. I snap and breakdown so easy. Mostly it's because I feel like all I do is repeat myself. If no one listens when I try to tell them something maybe they'll pay attention if I yell. Ive tried everything to get my kids to shape up and nothing seems to work. I know I'm not the only one who is going crazy over their school agers but my husband is about ready to put me a looney bin. I have no suggestions just keep in mind that your not the only one.
    Rockermom72

Answer by Rockermom72 at 5:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• im due at the end of this month and i feel like ive been soooo short with my 2 1/2 year old. she's going through a tantrum stage right now and im having a very hard time handling it rationally. i dont have any advice, other than "hey, its a phase, it'll pass". but who wants to hear that? i feel for you, though. hopefully we can both stay strong through it!
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 6:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I go in spurts. And I especially notice it when i'm trying to concentrate or I'm stressed. I was a the store last week and they've changed litterally EVERY aisle. I was just trying to find cleaning supplies and I must have past the same section 4 times. I was ready to take off someone's head and my children are begging for evrything they see.... It was pretty ugly.
    Life happens that way some days. Don't beat yourself up, just make the next time a little better. BREATHE! :)
    trishmused

Answer by trishmused at 6:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I agree with GrnEyedGrandma. They act up because you let them get away with stuff. they push when they know they can get away with it.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Every day.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 10:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I have 3 boys- so yes, I sometimes feel like my fuse gets shorter and shorter.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 12:14 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I'm not so sure I agree that the problem is they just get away with stuff with mom. I have this same problem with my 8 y/o step daughter. She doesn't get away with things with me, but gets away with everything with daddy. But then is terrible when dad is not around, and hardly ever does anything when dad is around. When she does misbehave its generally ignored with dad and if I try and discipline her he says I am being too hard on her when it is things like pushing or hitting our 5 year old. I know this is not the same situation since this has to do with a step child, but it doesn't sound like the person who posted this is just letting them get away with things. But I understand how you feel I always feel like like I am short with our kids and wish I could find a way to instill more patience in myself!
    amy_michelle

Answer by amy_michelle at 9:12 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• OMG. I feel like this almost everyday. As a single mom, it seems I am constantly yelling to get my 6 yr old to listen. Grandma tells me I am treating him too old, that he's a "baby". The problem is he isn't going to be little forever so I am trying to get him to start listening so when he gets older he will be able to adapt to lifes changes. I know I am hard on him, but being both mom & dad is tough. And he definitely knows how to push my buttons, but I always tell him after I get done, that I love him bunches. What is starting to happen when I yell is, he says "I know I'm bad Mommy, but I try not to be." That really stopped me in my tracks. So I guess what I'm geting at is we are all capable of "bad behavior", even mommies. We just need to be sure that what we say isn't reinforcing a even worse outcome. Hang in there and hope it will pass. That's what I am going to do.
    chksmom2003

Answer by chksmom2003 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 21, 2009