1 year old still eating stage 2 foods

My son turned 1 a couple of weeks ago. He still eats stage 2 foods. He likes very few stage 3 and not much of table foods. He gags with solids. I am not sure what to do. What is your 1 year old eating habits? Is she/he eats solids well? I feel that he is behind with his feeding routine. I can't switch him to sippy cup yet -- he doesn't like it. He now drinks regular milk --- still in bottle.

ZuMama

Asked by ZuMama at 4:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He will get used to the texture...it's foreign to him. Try feeding him table foods
    Anonymous

• Hey dont rush things.. He will be fine, we were on table food at 9m, so im no help with that.. BUT i would say he is doing fine, did you ask his doc? We didnt switch to a sippy cup till almost a month ago and hez 17m now..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My son will be 1 on Thursday!! Yeah! And he basically eats whatever we eat for dinner. I have never purchased stage 3 foods. When he was ready for solids, I've always blended what we had for dinner. If he couldn't eat what we had for dinner, I would make him, mashed pot., spag, veggies and pasta or rice, sweet pot. w/veggies, basically anything. Now, for breakfast he started eating very soft cheerios in whole milk, yogurt, or regular oatmeal. My struggle is getting him to like whole milk. Try the website www.wholesomefoods.com. Good luck!!
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would try blending the table food really well and making it taste good. Don't add salt or pepper, but be creative and allow him to try foods with different tastes. He will come along. Don't worry. Keep trying!!
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• If he's not eating food, he shouldn't be on milk. Sorry, but my personal opinion is that if he's not getting his nutrition from food, he still needs it from formula.

You have to teach him how to use a sippy cup. If he doesn't like the one you gave him, try another one. We went through 5 before we found one my oldest would take.

Stop giving him stage 3 foods. If I had what I thought was a mouthful of puree and swallowed a CHUNK I didn't know was there, I'd choke or gag and not want it any more either!

Stick to working on table foods with him and talk to your pediatrician. He may have a sensory issue as far as food in his mouth.

Put some food on a plate in front of him and let him go to town. He'll get it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• i started table foods with my son at about 6 months and my daughter the same i dont really like baby food and it is so much healthier for them, get a baby food grinder if its to chunky for him and try with the flavors then start mashing it with a fork and then just give it to him size appropriately, every child is different but i dont think it is to early for table foods at this time in your childs life, be patient he will get it
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 5:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My son was/is a huge choker - at 1 year though I stopped the staged foods and just cut up everything really well or did mashed potatoes, mac and cheese fresh steamed mashed veggies, gerber puffs, teething crackers etc. he is still a choker at 17 months but getting better. he doesnt like milk either and I started working with the sippy cup at 7 months old and he finally figured out how to do it at 15 months..lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My son has been eating table food since around 6months, he HATED baby food. My friends kids 3&2 still eat baby food though...so I guess it just depends on the child. I'd try table food and let him feed himself, even though it gets messy it might be a fun way for him to get used to the food! as for the bottle if you want to start your child on a sippy cup there is a brand called NUBBY and the are cups with silicone tops so it is still kind of like a bottle and you can get things out by biting on them. I found this easier with my son to learn and within a few weeks he could use a "normal" sippy cup
    Anonymous