• In the Spotlight:

Is this ok, when we have baby #2 to have my husband go home at night...

with our son and then come back first thing in the morning? We have a two year old but he will be three by the time baby will be here and we dont trust any one to stay with him. No family or freinds that we 100% trust so I have to put my child first cause even though Im going to be a little lonely at night while Im there by myself I know that my son will be home sleeping with my husband and not staying with someone else. He plans on brining our son back in the mornings and staying till visiting hrs over for the 2 days Im in there. With our son I kept him in the room all the time with me unless the nurses needed to take him for a bit but I cant do that this time cause my husband wont be there to help me. So I figured I would take advantage of our newborn being in the nursury so I can get some sleep this time round. Would you do it this way if you had no one to help? I feel like Im taking away from my husband cause he cant bond

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My hubby did.
    Anonymous

• OP... as much with the newborn as he did with our two year old when he was born.
    Anonymous

• My husband stayed with my but only because we had my mom to babysit my 2 older kids. But everyone else we knew their husbands all left and the mom & new baby stayed alone in the hospital. The guys just didnt wanna be there LOL so your not the only one & if you need help theres always nurses around =)
    Anonymous

• Nope. We are doing a home birth though so we wont have these issues. I would never allow the nursery to watch my child just to get some sleep though, that's a huge no for me.

You do what you need to though. I breastfed my first so did all the feedings, and still slept, so I never understand how so many people have issues with sleeping...
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:46 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My husband would love to stay but we dont think my son will be comfortable sleeping up there and plus I dont know if the hospital will alow him too since hes a child.
    Anonymous

• Well, of course it's fine!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would check and make sure that your son is allowed to be in the room with you or on the maternity floor. I know some hospitals have rules about the ages of children that can be on the maternity floor.
    3peasinthepod

Answer by 3peasinthepod at 4:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• You dont have milk in your breast the first day you give birth, mine didnt come in untill 3 days later and I did breastfeed my son till he was 13 months old. Of course I would wake up to feed my own child but the nurses at my hospital said that an adult has to be awake at all times if the babys going to sleep in the room with us. I just remember how tired I was going home from the hospital and the next three months after that so I figured that I would try and actually get some rest this time. Theres nothing wrong with them taking him for a little bit but I agree the baby should be with you most of the time. So tell me about this in home birth, can I still get an epidurl?
    Anonymous

• my son didnt even meet his daddy till he was three months old (his daddy was in iraq) and they are super bonded despite that. i think its also just as important that the toddler gets some alone time with a parent, you know? it might make it a little easier on him too. you could also see how the first night goes and if its just too rough then night number two you can change it up a little. good luck!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 4:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• You still breastfeed without milk! Our hospital with my first didn't have that rule. We were all sleeping when the baby slept, no one had to be awake. They can't keep your baby against your will, or take the baby if both adults are sleeping, that's dumb! Hospital policies can be ignored and they can't tell you otherwise.

I just didn't like the idea of the nursery taking my child so I could sleep, it seems selfish. My daughter had to be in the nursery for a couple days. She ended up with a health issue, caused by moronic nursed, and had an IV in her head. I HATED her not being with me, and slept less than I would normally. It was miserable.

No, you don't get an epidural in a home birth lol. :) It's going to be 100 percent natural, no drugs or IV's etc.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2009