how young is too young?

should we start doing time outs? i cant bring myself to swat my little one hard enough for him to even notice but i also feel like he isnt gonna understand what time out is. he is 14 months old now and really starting to play the game lol. what did you do?

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 4:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you could always start putting him in time outs. he's not going to understand what it is at first but he'll start to get the point. make sure you sit and explain to him what he did wrong, even though he may not understand everything you're saying he will get it eventually. just make sure the time outs aren't too long since he's so young.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 4:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My son probably isn't getting the whole time out and what it actually means but I started a month ago at 16 months and he did really well - i was surprised
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• at that age i smacked my sons had just useing two fingers and made a very angry face it the fact that your mad at them that should correct them not the fear of being spanked my son is 2 now and i smack his bum so ligltly i dont think he eaven feals much at all but he knows mommy is mad at him when he gets spanked and its only one swat to the bum or the hand thats all you should ever do
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 5:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• you can use time out, it might be more difficult now since its something new to learn. For my son (starting at 15 months) we use his playpen (and it is only used as a time out place) since he cannot get out of it it works wonderfully! He has only been in a few times but if we tell him to stop "climbing on the shelves" or he is going to time out he quickly finds something else to do...so it works even with little guys
    Anonymous