is a queen size bed safe for my 2yr old?

me and my mom are moving with her husband soon, and we were talking about the rooms and i mentioned how my son would have his own room. then she said well you can have my bed since ill share a bed with my husband, and your son can have your queen size. do you think this would be safe? it's pretty high off the ground but he always takes naps in it and has never fallen out. i was thinking of just putting one of those protective things up to prevent him from falling out (just in case).. what do you ladies think??

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 5:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It should be fine. I do like the idea of the railing so that he won't roll off accidentally.

Answer by Bmat at 5:09 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• i think those side things are not safe they could get wedged in between them put the bed on the floor that would be the safest thing to do, so even if he falls off it wont be a long fall
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 5:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I don't see a problem with it.
    Anonymous

• i would use the railings. If you buy a good kind, follow the directions and install and use them correctly, your son will be fine. I know plenty of people who have put their children into queen size beds when they were out of the crib. What is most important about the railing is using them correctly.
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• That's what we did with each of our sons when they were 18-20 months old...queen bed pushed up against one wall with side rails. We just added a waterproof mattress protector! Made a lot more economical sense than buying a youth bed, then a twin/full bed, and the mattresses and bedding to fit.

We purchased a clearance queen mattress and box spring for less than $300--as at that age they don't need lumbar support! LOL This bed and mattress set will last them well into their teens early adulthood! We even selected a more mature bedding set and room decor...vintage sports and vintage airplanes that will "grow" with our children, and the decor can change and grow too!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:22 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• i see nothig wrong with it just put it up against a wall on one side and put the bed rail on the other side and you should be all set
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 5:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• its so big, i bet he'll love it! it'll be like an adventure for him! (i agree with everyone else about the railings. maybe a step stool, too, so he doesn't have as far down to reach in the groggy mornings.)
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 6:09 PM on Apr. 7, 2009