The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil...

Why do you think God put it in the Garden of Eden? Is it possible that the only purpose in it's existence was so that Eve can eat from it in order for God's entire plan to come about? Was it predestined for her to eat from it?

Just curious as to what others thought about this.

Susan0976

Asked by Susan0976 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it was all part of the plan. God told them to go forth and multiply. They had to become like we are now to have the pain and trails of the world and also death would come. I believe our purpose is to come here and be tested and then go back to live again with God. I don't believe that could have happened if they were not tested. They would still be sitting pretty in the Garden and we wouldn't be here.

Just my thoughts. I know everyone has their own thoughts and I don't plan on arguing them.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 5:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• It was put there as a test to Adam and Ave.

Answer by louise2 at 5:08 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I think that you have it right. Without the tree God could not fulfill his plan. The eating of the fruit was not the sin, however. It was the hiding from God and the blame. Adam blamed Eve and Eve blamed the serpent.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 5:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• The Tree was necessary because without the option to choose evil, good cannot exist.

(and as I posted in your other question). Both free-will and predestination are in the Bible and are necessary although they seem to collide. As a finite person I must admit that I can only see "free-will" and "predestination" as paralell pillars, existing side by side. As the pillars extend up into the sky and disapear from sight, the two meet. Only God knows when and how they meet. Free-will describes man's ability to choose evil and bring evil into the world (or to choose good ect.). Predestination acknowledges man's ability to choose sin but believes that God is ultimately in control. I believe that Eve chose to eat the fruit but that God did not cease to be in control. I believe his will is always fulfilled no matter what we choose. He is the beginning and the end, one can only begin to postulate the "hows" and "whys" of God.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• The eating of the fruit was the sin. They were told never to do it. The shame (nakedness), blame (of each other and the serpent) and hiding (of themselves and their bodies) were the additional sins that transpired due to the original one. It is the principle that sin begats sin, begats sin, begats sin....
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Why would your God put that tree there to temp them in the first place? If he KNEW they would eat from it, then what was the purpose of even creating them? He was rubbing his hands together in glee waiting for them to sin so he could punish them?

Naked people eating fruit, talking snakes... it's all ridiculous.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 5:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• ldsdragonmom....

I like your thought and agree. The following is something I thought of and wrote earlier today, which is what made me ask the question...

"I don't think he planted the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil in the Garden of Eden by accident. It wouldn't make sense for the plan to not have evil...I believe he created evil, on purpose, as horrible as it sounds.

Why would He create that tree? If His plan was for everything to be fine and dandy, always, wouldn't it be simpler to just not have the tree, hence making everything fine and dandy?"

Thank you for sharing your thought. The reason I asked the question was to get everyone's thought...I hope everyone understands that and that nobody gets out of hand. : )
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• IharU...

Thank you for your reply. It sounds ridiculous, to those who don't believe but to us who do, it isn't.

But, really that is what I am saying, why would He put it there unless he was expecting Eve to eat from it so that, in turn, all that is happening now will happen...predestination.

Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Well he did give everyone free agency to choose what they want. Some choose evil and some don't. Some spirits chose to follow God's plan and some chose to follow Lucifer. If we didn't have evil and trails I don't think there would be a point to every thing we do in a religion. Well I know not every religion but some.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 5:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• So to everyone who says we have a choice, why does it mention in the bible that God hardens peoples hearts...As he did pharaohs heart in Exodus 7:1-5? Doesn't this mean that he made it to where Pharaoh didn't have a choice, "Fee Will" but had to do what got chose, which was to not listen to Moses regardless of the miracles that were performed?
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 5:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2009