5 year old who spits

I have 2 kids who I teach @ my home ( not mine ) 1 of them has picked up spitting I have tried everything Time out ignoring it making him clean it up talking to him and explaining to him how rude it is. Nothing works as for talking to the parents I would have better luck talking to the dashboard in my car. I have been with these boys for almost 5 years and this is the first time nothing has worked. Help please

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• sweetie i know how you feel, I use a bag and i would write 5 things down on a paper and have the child pull 1 paper out of the bag and read it to him and that will be his punishment for 15 mins or 10. put things down that he doesn't like to do. that worked for my boys when they would hit each other or when they lied and it worked when nothing else seemed to work.. good luck hun
    Anonymous

• My middle child is a spitter. Everytime he spits I make him go to the bathroom. He is only allowed to spit in the toilet in private. He hates being isolated from the others so unles he needs to use the bathroom he is miserable. I kind of make it like a time-out. He can sit in there a few minutes to think about how gross it is to spit...and any urges he has he can do in the potty.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• For one thing, the more attention you give to him when he spits, the more he will probably continue to spit.. He probably likes the response he gets from you when he does it. Your response and reqction may reinforce him. Try ignoring the spitting and praising him for other things that you want to see him doing. Once he doesn't get a big reaction from you, then he will mostly likely stop.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 11:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• swat him on the mouth when he spits that is NASTY and one of these days he is going to do it when you least expect it!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:58 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Ewwww...... nasty!

I once knew someone who spit at a cop, and the cop arrested the guy. Charged him with Assault!
    Anonymous