what do you do with kids who hate going to the doctor

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• depends on why they are going really, i dont vaccinate my kids so i dont think they are ever scared just shy of the people there, maybe a reward system or reassurance that you know what is best for them and you wouldnt do anything to hurt them, thats a tough one
    Anonymous

• You teach them life lessons. Sometimes there are things in this life we don't want to or don't like to but we must. Don't bribe them...it is a crazy pitfall that grows worse and demanding overtime. Never lie about what may happen/. If they need a shot and they ask..tell them.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• YOU BRING THEM ANYWAY AND REWARD THEM
    FOR BEING BRAVE AFTERWARDS. I REMEMBER
    BEING TERRIFIED OF NEEDLES AND SITTING
    ON MY GRANDMOTHERS LAP, THE BOTH OF US
    CRYING WHILE I GET MY BLOODWORK AND SHOTS
    DONE.
    I JUST REMEMBER KNOWING THAT MY GRANDMOTHER
    WOULD BE PROUD OF ME AND MAYBE BUY ME A BARBIE
    OR ICE CREAM AFTERWARDS MADE IT ALL WORTH IT.
    THE DOCTOR IS A REALITY AND A FACT IN EVERY HEALTHY
    PERSONS LIFE.
    bronxcouture

Answer by bronxcouture at 5:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My children are autistic--an no it's not because of vaccinations! So no amount of reassurance is ever going to make them understand why they need a shot or have to remove their shoes to step on the scale. They do know that I will never leave them, and that they can sit in my lap. We sing songs that they like, bring books, or a small toy to keep them occupied.

If your children are at least 2 years old, and only need yearly physicals/check ups, I HIGHLY recommend going when the weather is warm, and they can wear short sleeved shirts, shorts/skirts, and sandals....makes exams A LOT easier, when the children do not need to remove layers of clothing, and shoes slip on and off easily! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• oh, and I never bring both of my children together...I make separate appointments, for obvious reasons, and so that I can devote 100% attention to each child, and actually talk/listen to the doctor!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Get a toy doctor kit and play doctor with them. Role playing really helps kids work out issues and deal with fear.

And obviously I mean acutually playing doctor - not the naughty kind little kids might do with each other.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• We just go. I am there for them and they know it. I try to be calm and help them stay calm. Life is full of little unpleasantries, you need to give your child the tools to realize this and get through them. I don't get a barbie everytime I have to do something distasteful or uncomfortable..it is a part of life.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2009