Does he really understand?

I have a 15 month old little boy and am about to have another baby boy in May. My little boy has started to act more and more like a baby again everyone seems to think that its beacuse he knows that mommy is going to have someone else who needs me. My thing is could he really understand that things are about to change or is it because of something else. Its gottin to were I can't leave the house without him crying till I get back. What can I do to help him understand if thats really what it is.

austinadamsmom

Asked by austinadamsmom at 6:09 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it may not be that at all hun...he could just be going through one of those famous phases.....my son did...

to get him used to babies introduce him to some..take him to the park,mall,or even a mommy and me group and get him used to babies..good luck
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 6:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I agree with Connorsmom - Seperation anxiety comes and goes all through childhood - we just change the name to "homesick". But the peak is about 18 months old.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My 15 month old is acting the same way. I think that it is just a phase. I don't think that he understands that another baby is coming and what that means.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 6:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I believe what he may be reacting to is all the attention to what is about to happen in your life. You may have been putting energy into preparing for a baby. People are talking about the new baby coming. Your physical energy is probably low because of the pregnancy and therefore you are probably spending less quality time with him than he is used to.

I would just say to keep loving on him and letting him know how important he is to you. He will revert back to behaviors that get attention even if it is negative attention. Keeping him involved will allow him to be a part of what is going on an less likeley to feeling left out.

Enjoy the time with him while you can as your life and his is about to change forever. This will be your last time when he is the one and only with you.

Be patient as he knows not what he is doing and he wants to belong.
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 7:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I agree with LegacyKimberly, it could be some reaction to things he's sensing, but I really doubt he knows what's about to hit him. My daughter was 15 1/2 months old when her sister was born, and she did great! I was so worried because she was in a really clingy-to-mom phase and I knew I was having a c-section and wouldn't be able to pick her up for awhile. She was a real trooper. A lot of worry for no reason. I'm sure he'll do great, too. Just let some of the preparations go as you get closer to the arrival of #2 and spend some quality time with your boy... YOU'LL miss HIM like crazy for awhile. (I'm getting teary thinking of all the emotions of this time!) Good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2009