I have gestastional diabetes plus I am a picky eater, any good ideas for meals?

EmmsMommy

Asked by EmmsMommy at 6:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• It is always important that a diabetic have a good form of protein with each meal. Protein facilitates carbs (which turn into sugar). I would grill several boneless chicken breast or use the Foreman and have it with lunch on a bed of salad with good fresh vegetables, and then one for dinner along with 2 veg. and a good fresh fruit.

There are many good marinades for chicken, but you will have to be careful of those with sugar, but I use Dales seasoning which is with the steak sauces. It does have a higher sodium content and you prob. have to watch that as well right now. Otherwise a good balsamic vinegar would be plenty of flavor.

Do lean ground beef and make "hamburger steaks". I guess we love to grill and do almost every day, so that is our tasty food ideas. ;) Hope this gives you some ideas and I hope you manage your gest. diabetes well till the babe arrives!!
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I had gestational diabetes. Talk with your nurse, they will help you with some menu's/recipes. It is vital that you eat what they tell you and six times a day (NOT six meals a day). I like everything, so it wasn't bad for me. NEVER skip a meal. I never faltered from the diet because my Dad had just passed away from complications from diabetes, so that scared teh h out of me! I did exactly what they said, yet, I still had to have shots twice a week and then they ended up taking the baby early. Important, I learned this afterwards, eat cinnamon, as much as you can, it helps naturally regulate your blood sugar levels. Hugs to you mama!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 8:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would ask this of your medical professional. This is nothing to mess around with and they would have good ideas for what you could eat...or refer you to a nutritionist. Just make sure you follow the rules! Your baby's life and your own are on the line here. What to eat when you are expecting is a good book with a section for this subject...check it out.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2009