When should you give a 6 month old water?

KeishaML

Asked by KeishaML at 7:03 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i wouldn't do it there was a story not long ago where a 6 month old baby got water posinging i think in very little amounts its ok
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 7:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• we give ds water with meals in a sippy
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 7:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• *after he's been breastfed*
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 7:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I was told they don't really need it. Once the start going outside and getting hot, sweating, etc. Then they need it. But for now, they just need nutrition.
    Anonymous

• You don't have to, really. He's getting all the water he needs from formula or breastmilk.

If you WANT to give him some, give it whenever you wish...but not much. He doesn't need it. It will only fill him up and take the place of the nutrition he needs.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:14 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• On super hot days I'll give my dd a sippy with 1 oz of formula in it. She doesn't even finish all of it, but at least I know she is staying hydrated in the warm weather.

I don't think water should replace a feeding by any means, but by 6 months they are able to handle a little bit just fine.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 8:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2009