What do you think of this?

The Government Accountability Office (GAO), Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and the U.S. Treasury Department have warned that debt levels will increase dramatically relative to historical levels if entitlement programs are not reformed. For example, projected expenditures for Medicare and Social Security programs exceed tax revenues by over $40 trillion over the next 75 years

mustbeGRACE

Asked by mustbeGRACE at 7:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Scary, and it makes me feel bad for the next generation.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 7:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• The ends is coming, so who cares?
    Anonymous

• I think the entitlement programs are going to get cut down, and next will be your favorite, OP, taxes raised. Something will have to be done, but I'm no expert.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I think both parties have made a mess of things, and I think the American people have helped them along this path.

It's a mess, and it's going to get worse before it gets better, and that's regardless of who is/ will be in Office.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Yes, it has to be reformed. One, slowing increase the amount of SS tax paid by the worker and the employer. Two , increase the retirement age. People are living longer. Three, they might have to decrease the amount of money peope get monthly.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 7:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I really don't think that we should dump on the old people who have had money taken from their checks for years. Though SS is also an entitlement program, that was the deal.

Women and families having kids they can't afford is a different issue.

Employers are already paying plenty of taxes.
    People should be taught in school that having babies before you can afford them costs EVERYBODY!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• People should be taught in school that having babies before you can afford them costs everybody. That's why planned parenthood is needed in schools!
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 8:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• That would mean that you would have to support comphrensive sex education, not just abstinence only, not saying that you don't, but many don't believe in teaching sex education... Which means that those who have sex anyway have no idea how it works...

I feel bad for those who paid for years into SS, and now we're almost bankrupt because the money has been used elsewhere.

I don't know what the answer is. I think everyone has contributed to the problem.

The only real answer is that taxes will have to go up and spending has to go down.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Women and families having kids they can't afford is a different issue.
    _____________________________________
    What are you talking about? Medicare and SS are for people over 65 or disabled people. Where do the women and families come in?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Entitlement programs......
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 8:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2009