Do you have a problem with someone buying Easter candy or Easter baskets with food stamps?

I went to WalMart today to buy some things that I needed. When I went to check out, there was a lady that had four Easter baskets and quite a bit of Easter candy and she proceeded to pay for it with her food stamp card. Another lady that was in the same line started rolling her eyes and saying something about what she bought with her food stamps. Do you think it is wrong to buy stuff like that with food stamps?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• yes, as neat as it is that the family, (if they really need help) can get their kids something like that. I still think it's wrong. That's not what they are there for. I've known people that by huge birthday cakes and stuff with it....it just doesn't sound right....
    Anonymous

• Some people choose to go without so they can give to their children/grandchildren.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Why should kids miss out because their parents can't afford it.
    Anonymous

• depends on the sistration if the mother has job i say yes i mean its like she is paying for it. But if she is solo living off the system then no
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 7:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• yes. candy is NOT an essential food. food stamps should be used on essential, healthy foods. the same goes for fast food--food stamps should not be accepted in those places either! it's all about priorities!!!
    Anonymous

• food stamps are not accepted at fast food place... infact you can not buy any already made foods with food stamps like cooked chicken
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 7:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• when it's YOUR money that you WORKED for, then I say do as you please. When its money that has been GIVEN to you by others who WORKED, so you don;t have to, then I think there should be restrictions on what can and cannot be purchased.
    Anonymous

• No I don't think there's anything wrong with it. She's trying to give her children a nice Easter just like every other kid. There's no way to tell just by looking at her what her story is...but at least her kids will remember this Easter as being a good one with yummy candy and Easter baskets and don't have to feel ashamed when other kids asks what the Easter bunny bought. How do you explain to your kids why the Easter bunny didn't come to your house? If I was on food stamps I would do the same thing.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• With everyone out of jobs right now i don't think it will hurt if they budget it right. I was on the system for awhile and got a job to get off. But i did buy valentines for my kids like someone said why should my kids suffer because there are no jobs out there.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• So are you people saying that underpriveledged children should not get anything for Easter?

I think as long as they made sure they had enough for groceries, its okay to treat their kids w/leftover food stamp money to celebrate holidays too.
    Anonymous