how long will it take?

okay we got a letter about three weeks ago that we had to move out of our home . the reason we find out is not the truth. so we are going to let the land lord go threw the eviction process. does anyone know how long that could take? i have been told so many different things. we are callin an attorney tomorrow.

jodi205

Asked by jodi205 at 7:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Where in the world does it take 90 days? We are landlords and when a tenant doesn't pay in pennsylvania we have to give 10 days notice to leave or pay. We then file for a hearing and that takes about 7 dyas to schedule (17 days at this point). After the hearing we must wait another 10 days to file for possession (27 days at this point) and then about 7-14 days from that to have the constable kick them out (41 days at this point). At any point up until we file for posession the tenant can fix (pay or get rid of the pet etc) what ever they have done and stay (if there is a lease involved which for us there always is). Our lease says we only need to give 5 days notice in the beginning though and specifically states that by signing it youa re giving up some of your rights by law.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:48 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• It could take anywhere from 3 months to a year depending how far behind you are and how long ago they filed to evict you. It usually takes at least 90 days tho.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I have no idea, but I had friends who went through the same thing, and were able to stay in the house while they appealed (or contested, whatever you call it). The attorney you contact will be able to tell you more about that. Also, the same friends I just mentioned, they were able to work out an agreement to stay in the rented house until the end of the school year so they wouldn't have to take their kids out mid-term. Then they got booted. LOL. Sorry, and goodluck!
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 7:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• we are not behind that is the problem we have a letter from him telling us what great tenants we are and that he will help us out any way he can but we have to be out by the end of this month and he called tonight and said he was going to the magistrate tomorrow.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:46 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Definitely get that lawyer, stat.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• thanks fist we are there have been nothing but lies from him and we have a letter saying we always pay rent on time and we are perfect tenants that this is the other owners fault and we didnt even know there was another owner
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• In your lease, how many days is he required to give you, and how many did he give you?

Eviction in apartments takes about 90 days usually.

I'm sorry, Jodi. That sucks. Good luck!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:10 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• What is the reason he has given for kicking you out? Do you have a written lease? After he goes to the magistrate you will get a letter in the mail and that is when I would get a lawyer and not before. I would definitely be getting that signed letter you mentioned and any written lease, receipts, etc together for the court date with the magistrate, which should be about 7-14 days from the time he files with them.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:51 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Thank God you have that letter saying you always pay on time and that you are great tenants! Obviously that is your ace card. I have been on both ends of this and I have won both times when I was being evicted. Make SURE that you do go to the hearing b/c if they don't, you win by default. Also, they have to have a valid reason for kicking you out such as late rent, etc. They cannot just kick you out. I had someone try to kick me out b/c I called the cops on the other renters of the duplex I was in. That is NOT a good enough reason - these people tried to burn down my side of the house! Real dumb since it would have spread to THEIR side! DUH! Anyway, I have NEVER ever in all my years of renting (again, from both sides) seen it happen in less than a month. #1. The court systems are slow and clogged so the hearing takes time. #2. AFTER the hearing you have the right to appeal the decision. Good luck honey!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:03 AM on Apr. 8, 2009