What do I do about my 10 year old daughters obsession about pretending stuffed animals and dolls are real?

We moved at the beginning of the school year and since we have moved my daughter has had a difficult time making new friends. At the beginning of the year she was bringing stuffed animals to school and she would just play by herself with the stuffed animals. We thought that may have been partly why she was having a hard time making friends at school so we told her she was not allowed to bring them to school anymore. Recently neighborhood kids have been coming over to our house to play, but it seems my daughters behavior with the stuffed animals are preventing good friendships. One example is that she had two friends over and for some reason her stuffed animals were upset about something so she started to cry and wine for them, her friends got irritated and went home. These kinds of things seem to happen often. What would you do?

chicajolene

Asked by chicajolene at 7:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• at 10 that is a werid age to be going threw this. Maybe like you said she just don't know how to make friend easy.. sign her up for sports or something at the librey make her stick with it and maybe she will get better with coping with the new area. BUT also if you do put her say in sports and she really really don't like it please don't make her stay in it might make her more unsosible. ?sp
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 7:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I suggest having her talk to a therapist. They can find out what is causing the behavoir and teach your daughter new ways to initiate social contact
    Lillette

Answer by Lillette at 8:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Did you ask her if she wants to make friends? Maybe if you sort of point out that the stuffed animals are okay when no one is around, but when people are around she should interact with the people instead of the toys...? I would start by addressing it directly with her, but if you have already done that or you are still confused or dissatisfied after you talk about it, I think maybe a professional would be a good idea. Maybe she is anxious about socializing or maybe something else is going on.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:14 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I would say she is looking for security in the animals, maybe harmones are starting to kick in? You might try to get her special notebook/blankbook to write down her animals "adventures" and she can work through issues that way also.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 8:42 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I honestly believe she is going through a phase give her time talk to her more about it but don't make her feel like it is weird to feel this way let her be her for now. She will grow out of it.
    Start off by taking one stuff animal with her to the park or tell her the stuff animal can not go with you this time don't you want it to be safe here at home and so on. Just work with her until she finally understands the difference. She is still a little girl.
    As far as her friends there will be more let her pick out her own friends and her own time. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I'm 48 years old and I still have my teddy bear. He is 43 years old and still my best friend. Of course he's somewhat blind and deaf by now but I did request that he be buried with me when I die. Crazy, maybe, but he sure got me through alot of tough times and he loves me unconditionally.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 5:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2009