Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I really need some advice! Please. please. Thank you.

My brother and his ex gf have been in an unhealthy relationship for about 7 years now. She has an anger problem and often has taken it out on my brother or their kids.

She has an assault to a minor in TX for smacking one of the boys up pretty bad. Also has a couple of reports made in IN for attacking my brother. My brother has tried leaving many times but always says he needs to be with his kids(understandable) and goes back to try and be a normal family.

Now she is trying to get him for attempted murder. We don't have a lawyer and they won't hear him out in court.

He didn't try to kill her. He pinned her down to stop her from biting and hitting him because he tried to leave the house she attacked him while he was sleeping. I have know idea what to do or how to get those papers in the other states.

This is pretty summed up so ask questions if you need to.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (10)
  • Call a domestic violence shelter and use their attorney. He's the victim of domestic violence. I know men don't like admitting it but it will probably get his ass out of trouble if he does. They know the signs of women like that.

    Answer by admckenzie at 7:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

  • She already has help from a the womens shelter here in town. They won't help him if she went there first :(
    I also called legal aid and they said they don't take cases with people in already in jail.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

  • Do you have any evidence that she did these things. Like from a doctor or police reports..anything. Take what ever proof you have to legal aid. He needs to fight this other wise I fear for the childrens safety. This is soooo screwed up. Keep up the battle

    Answer by pnwmom at 8:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

  • Who is in jail? If your brother is in jail then there was evidence on HER of him attacking her and that's why he got arrested. If there were any marks on him they would have arrested her too so I'm not sold on this story. I know he's your brother and you love him but he has made his choices. There is nothing you can do besides testify at his court hearing.


    Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

  • There are reports in TX and IN. I am not sure how to go about getting them.
    Also worried about letting him get a say so in this without a lawyer.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

  • you have to contact the courts or rather the police dept that went out and made the reports and send them the money or give them cc number and they will mail you the reports from tx and IN. CRIMINAL REPORTS are easy to get.

    Answer by melody77 at 8:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

  • Thank you melody77

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

  • Are these "reports" active? Meaning have the cases against her been closed already? You can look her up using her full name in the public court databases for those states to see if those cases are closed and or if she has any active warrants.


    Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

  • Everyone is entitled to a public defender... he/she could and should supena (can't spell it) the records. TX has a lot of privacy things so it's harder to get that information, but a lawyer could.
    Here in TX, whoever makes the call is the one that's not going to jail is the way I understand it (I've never had a domestic disturbance at my house so I'm only going by what friends have told me).

    Answer by lisa_ann_p at 11:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

  • Thank you everyone!

    Answer by san-1 at 7:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.