Severe gallbladder type of pain, but no stones... pain just cause of pregnancy???

First, I am 20 weeks pregnant.

For the last 3 days, I have had severe pain under my right lower rib and the pain radiates up my right back to my shoulder blade shortly after eating. I went to the doc yesterday and she said that it sounds like my gallbladder... did an U/S but won't get the results for a few days.

Morning, I had a bowl of cereal then the pain came for about 30 mins. Later I ate 2 waffles w/ apple juice and the pain came for about an hour. In the afternoon, I had a chicken sandwich (not the best thing to eat, I know) and the pain came for about 2.5 hours.

I went to the ER. Ultrasound came back with no signs of stones.... blood test came back normal. The doc said this pain is prob just related to my pregnancy and sent me home with tylenol.

I am in sever pain after EVERY time that I eat... doesn't matter what I eat. All gallbladder tests came back normal... but I am in so much pain!!

Ideas??

shannonwooten

Asked by shannonwooten at 8:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• could it be indigestion? I had a gall bladder attack at 6 months and believe me it's the worst pain ever. My husband drove me to the ER b/c I thought I was in labor. I couldn't sit up straight the pain was that bad. It lasted for about an hour, they sent me home and said it was indigestion. A month later after I gave birth I had another gall bladder attack this time the pain lasted longer. I went to doctor the same day, it was still tender to touch. He sent me for an US and found my gallbladder was full of stones. I had it removed and now I'm back to normal again. My pain was also in my upper right quadrant and would radiate to my back as well, I felt short of breath and nothing I would do would stop it. If it keep happening maybe go for a second opinion.
    Anonymous

• definitely get a second opinion! i went to the ER in january with severe rib and back pain and shortness of breath. they told me i had a chest infection. i kept getting the pains and a month and a half later i woke up and couldn't even stand or lift my baby. my friend had to drive me to the ER where i stayed all day and had several tests. it happens that i had a gall stone that got stuck in some tube that the gall bladder shares with the pancreas and my pancreatic enzymes were backing up. i had to sit around in the hospital for almost 5 days waiting for the stone to pass then i had to have my gall bladder removed. make sure it's not gall stones before it gets any worse
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• ...although i'm not sure there is much they can do for it while you're pregnant...but you need to take care of it as soon as possible
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 8:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Sounds like Gall Bladder to me. I had the same thing, however I wasn't pregnant, but was told that it was indigestion, whatever. I had it removed and it was the best thing ever. I would only have my attacks at night time, I'd wake up in the middle of the night in severe pain, I couldn't even explain. Mine was diagnosed thru U/S, and I found out the same day that it had to be removed. Best thing to do, is watch what you eat, and try to stay away from a lot of fatty foods, that will help w/ the attacks. (if it is your gall bladder) Good Luck!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 8:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I had the same pain and it was so severe I was vomiting literally the entire night. I had an ultrasound of my gallbladder and nothing came up. No stones and no issues. It was merely really bad indigestion. I never knew it could get that bad, but, apparently it does. Try not to lay down right after you eat. Eat small meals and eat them slowly.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 8:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2009