how do i keep my daughter full

my daughter eats so much i have to give her formula and breast milk. She never seems full that she eats just about 10 ounces in one hour and she is only 3 weeks old

lovingmybaby20

Asked by lovingmybaby20 at 8:14 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• WOW, that is amazing. 3 weeks?!? Idk...I started putting rice in my daughter's bottle when she was 2 and 1/2 months, because she never seemed satisfied...Maybe she is eating more because she is gassy or something. I read somewhere that babies will continue to eat when their stomachs hurt. you could try the Mylicon gas drops.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 8:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• She's cluster feeding. Babies go through that a lot during the first 4 months. Just keep giving her both. My son is 2 months and I still give him both breastmilk and formula because he's so hungry.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Are you feeding her from the breast before offering the bottle? Why did you introduce formula in the first place (just trying to figure out the problem)? How much do you give after breastmilk? Is the breastmilk given via breast?

Anonymous

• You are way over feeding her. She is too young to have ten ounces in an hour. My son at that age had maybe 3 oz every 3 hours. Babies cry for many other reasons other than hunger. She could have gas, or a bad tummy ache from eating too much, or she could be colicy or wet, or just wants attention, or just wants to cry. I know breast fed babies eat more often, but thats way too much. Not trying to be mean, but I dont want your child to end up overweigh, or sick.
    Anonymous

• No you dont HAVE to give her formula at all! Nurse on demand! Your breasts are NEVER empty. She probably isnt actually hungry, she probably wants to suck. You NEED to stop giving formula and nurse on demand. Breastfeed at each and every cue, even if that means every fifteen minutes! This stage wont last forever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Babies that small only need approximately one ounce per hour.
    Anonymous