Anyone know about xbox live?

My 10 year old son has been playing on it quite a bit. I try to monitor who he is playing with, but you really can't. I have to snoop. I am affraid he could be playing games with some weirdo. The kids play video games on the xbox through the internet. They put a headset on and can talk to one another.

nomadmomof3

Asked by nomadmomof3 at 8:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes my boyfriend does the same thing. You can block members if they get rude or if they try to meet up. You can also look at members rating and it will show you if that certain member has rude or vulgar behavior, as ever been banned, or has ever been reported. I think you should be able to monitor is gaming fairly easily.

Might I add not to make a big deal out of it unless it become a problem with bad language or someone tries to meet with him. Usually guys talk on the head sets and just talk about ways to win the game. Nothing too much to worry about.

Mommy2Mariah

Answer by Mommy2Mariah at 8:46 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• my dh plays alot on the xbox, he has a few buddies he talks to on there all the time & they have been game buddies for a few years now..
    Ask your son about his friend... if there isnt anything odd going then he wont have a problem talking about it. Where does the guy live, what grade is he in? ... and dont think just because the guy is 32 hes a weirdo. lol. my dh will talk to anyone that isnt childish.. one of his friends on their was in highschool...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• giving dad heartJust make sure he does not give out any type of personal information and let him have the fun. I know my 15 yr. old son plays all hours of the night except school nights.

And my dh now that is another story, He is like a big kid and his coworkers from work.

i'd rather them be at home then to be getting into trouble or at a bar all night.

But I love the new technology. The headset is awesome.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My DS has been playing XBox live for about 6-7 months now.  I don't interfere, but I am proactive about his participation.  He can only play in the common area of the house (he doesn't have the wifi internet connection for the box) and if I feel he is in a game with someone who is overly vulgar or hateful, I pull the plug.  Most of the time he's playing with friends from school or the soccer team, and when it is a game with a random player, I find most of them are just having a good time.

My suggestion is just be aware of what's going on when he is playing and if you have a lot of concerns, limit the number of "mature" type games he is allowed to play, which will cut down his contact with older kids/grown ups.

jerzeetomato

Answer by jerzeetomato at 10:39 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• my DH plays ps3 online which is practically the same thing, i just cant believe that some parents let their young kids have headsets and talk 2 strangers. i would never let my son do that. i know my husband has played games against middle schoolers i just cant believe the parents allow that knowing all the crazy stuff going on in the world.
    Anonymous