Did your parents make mistakes with you that you try hard not to make with your own kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh, of course. But, I am sure I have made some that they didn't. My parents were teenaged parents, and I learned from that and decided to wait, get my education and get married first. My parents discussed money problems in front of us and it gave all of us lasting anxiety. We don't have financial problems but if we ever did, I would not discuss it in front of my daughter. My parents were pretty good though. I am quite lucky that way.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 8:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Yes they did. And I believe that I was successful in avoiding the mistakes. I likely made mistakes with my children that they'll be sure to avoid, too. One mistake that my parents made that I hadn't picked up on as a child, was to not prepare me for the real world well enough and that people could look me in the eye and lie to me. It would have been better if they had explained to me that there are nasty people out there. In a similar way, my husband and I never argued in front of the children, and we had (and have) a great marriage, so the children had the impression that spouses were all good people and marriages were all happy. This led to problems. It would have been better if somehow we could have cautioned them that sometimes marriages are rocky and that marrying someone doesn't make them a nice person.

Answer by Bmat at 9:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• most of my complaints are with my dad and I have talked a lot to my husband about things he should or should not do or say with our daughter such as make sexual jokes-even tame ones because I have always remembered them ew! Also my dad never picked out gifts for me- my mom did all that. He didnt even know what I was getting at Christmas or Birthdays. My brother was 7 years older than me so it was really lonely. Because of this I want my kids close in age. My mom didnt allow me in the kitchen and didnt teach me how to cook-what the hell is that!? I learned when I was in my mid twenties.
    Anonymous

• I am a better parent than my mom was...not that she was terrible, and I would think my children will be better than me...isin't that how it should be?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:57 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Yes and it's so difficult to not be a drug addicted, alcoholic slut who chooses an orgasim and partying over her children.
    Anonymous