How can I get my daughter to stay asleep when I put her in crib.

Ok I have always rocked my daughter to sleep and then go put her in her crib. Lately it seems everytime I get her to sleep and then go to lay her down she wakes up. I try the ole cry yourself to sleep trick but it doesnt work on her. She crys til I go get her and then shes right back to sleep. I stay pretty persistant in trying to get her to sleep in her crib. She goes right back to sleep when I pick her up. What do I do to brake her from this. My husband cant sleep on the couch forever and she cant sleep with me til she 18 either.

Katelynnsmom

Asked by Katelynnsmom at 8:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is a hard phase. When I had this problem with my kids I would rub/pat their backs. Start slowing down the patting or rubbing and start to walk away. Eventually they would soothe themselves and be able to sleep on their own. Have you offered her a pacifier? 2 out of 3 of mine liked it and it really helped them to fall asleep.
    momof2boys0507

Answer by momof2boys0507 at 9:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Sorry I forgot I was in the toddler category, forget the pacifier idea!

momof2boys0507

Answer by momof2boys0507 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I had the same issue, to break my son out of being rocked to sleep i would rock him until he is drowsy then I would lay him d own and pat him on the back and make sssshh noises (you could also try a hair dryer) and walk away, if they cry dont pick her up just pat her on her back again and so on, it may take a few nights but there is light at the end of the tunnel! i also have the fisher price aqerium mobile in my sons crib and its done wonders. Good luck
    JP1980

Answer by JP1980 at 9:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My dd did that too a few months ago (18m now).
    In my case it was just a phase, and it was my fault actually... I always cuddled her and rocked her to sleep just beacuse I loved to. But then she started to wake up and cry as soon as I put her in her crib... and she was getting a little heavier every months soy the rocking thing was not working for my back at all. That's when my husband bought us a book that's called " Go to sleep baby ".
    I hate reading so I just read a few pages and got the idea (LOL!).
    When shes asleep, put her down on her crib, she will wake up and start to cry... let her cry for 1 min and go see her, pick her up, rock her just a bit, put her down again (even if she's not asleep)... and go like that on and on... first for 1 min... the next day 2 min... the third day 3 min.. and complete 7 seven days... I swear it will work... you will probabli have the worst week of your life hearing your baby cry... but
    PilyFernandez

Answer by PilyFernandez at 3:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• it works really good... many of my friends and sibblings have used this method too and has worked for all of them.
    My dd now sleeps throw the night and fall asleeps in her crib by herself.

Hope it helps....

ps> I know it sounds like a wacky idea... but if you are as desesperate as I was.. why not give it a try
    PilyFernandez

Answer by PilyFernandez at 3:16 PM on Apr. 8, 2009