Feel free to answer anon. . .

Have you or your kids ever gone to bed hungry because of lack of funds, or food?

Or have you ever skimped on nutrition for bulk because of finances?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 8:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Man. I feel like I have been living under a rock. never in my life have I thought sooo many people had ever gone without food or went to bed hungry. AS CHILDREN no less. I feel like crying. I have never ever gone to bed hungry. I have never had to go without. My children certainly haven't even known what it's like to not have 2 to 3 freezers full of food all the time. As well as a kitchen and pantry stocked all the time.
    What admirable women you all are. I hope things lighten up for those who are struggling now..and those who aren't I hope when WE are sitting at the table tonight we are indeed as thankful as we should be.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Yes. Not since I was an adult, mind you, but there were many nights growing up when we had nothing to eat in the house.

I'm not answering anon because I feel there is no shame in that

And in college, Ramen Noodles were my friends... no nutrition, but very very cheap.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 8:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My kids haven't ever, but I have not eaten meat a bunch of times when DH was laid off last year to make it stretch further for the kids. I took to measuring out milk instead of just pouring out a glass to make sure no one got more than one serving. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• No In college I ate ramen noodles too.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 8:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• No, but my husband did as a kid. He would go days without food and would have to shoplift to get food.
    Anonymous

• Not that I recall, and im so grateful for it. I didnt grow up with a lot of money.. it was actually the exact opposite, but we received assistance for food and our local church always donated food to the families who needed it most.. I can remember when my Dad had his first heart attack the church sent over bags and bags of food. It was the most selfless thing anyone couldve ever done for us. Now that im older, times are much better. Some months we live pay check to paycheck, but fortunately, we have not had to go hungry..
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 8:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• No. Not that I can recall. There were some VERY lean years where we ate lots of rice and beans and fruit. I'm very fortunate fortunate and wish that nobody had to go through that.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 9:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My son hasn't,but I sure did as a kid.I went to school hungry alot with no lunch.My ma figured that if I ate once a day,that was enough.She made sure she had plenty of cigarettes though.And later when she remarried,my stepfather had plenty of beer.If it wasn't for my good friends paying for my lunch in high school,I probably would have starved.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• When I was in college, but thankfully not since the kids. I hope I will never have to.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My daughter hasn't yet and never will because i put her needs before anything else
    Anonymous