Disaster! Is he just not ready?

So my ds turns 10 months tomorrow (9 months adjusted) . I have tried stage 3 baby food twice now, he gagged a little bit both times but ate a tiny bit each time. I have heard from multiple people that 3rd stage baby food is nasty and if they are ready for stage 3 they can have table food. My sons nanny said that he would probaby like the taste of the kind of food that we eat better than baby food anyway. So tonight I made salisbury steak, mashed potatoes and carrots. So I pureed the carrots for him to try and I was going to give him mashed potatoes too. The first bite we gave him was carrots, he gagged, choked and turned blue, then proceeded to vomit and vomit and vomit all over the place and I had to rip him out of the height chair. It was sooooo scary! He is fine with all of the stage 2 foods and will eat all veggies, meats and fruit. He eats bannanas and advacados and doesnt have an issue. Is he just not ready? Help

Scoobersmom

Asked by Scoobersmom at 9:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i had the same trouble. my girls gagged and choked on stage 3 foods, i just waited a little while (like a couple of weeks) and started working in some real food.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My dd is 10 1/2 months. She eats everything that we eat. i never even did stage three baby foods...
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 9:09 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Yes I dont think he is ready for the thicker foods. I make all my sons food, that way I can control how thick it is. If he is doing fine with the 2nd foods and by all means keep using them! It is scary when babies/kids gag or choke. So take your time with offering the 3rd stage food, no need to rush. =)
    momof2boys0507

Answer by momof2boys0507 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Stage 3 foods are nasty. I have a 9 month old and I still give her stage 2 foods and give her table food. She also gagged with the stage 3. I would keep giving her stage 2 and give her some table foods such as mashed po, small pasta, rice, and veges. Increase her stage 2 jars a day to make sure she is getting enough, Mine eats about 4 stage 2 jars a day, 2 with cereal and she also has table foods and bottles of course.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:10 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I know that incident was probably very scary, but the vomiting was likely just a reflex from the gagging. My daughter has an incredibly strong gag reflex and she'd do this with all sorts of consistencies of food when they were new to her. She still sometimes vomits if a banana hits her wrong and she's 22 months! I would keep trying -- little bites. Not of steak though :) It's not altogether impossible that she's not totally ready. Don't push it if it keeps being a bad experience. Some kids just "get it" faster -- my second started solids later than my first, but she's already SO much better at moving food around and gumming it, at a far younger age.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would say he isnt ready yet, and even if he is, i wouldnt give it to him for while for the sake of what happend tonight! My daughter eats everything i eat and has been since she was 7 months old and had been on stage 3 foods since then too! but i still give her stage 2 fruit, that is just easier on me...stage 3 really isnt that much different in fruit and veggies, just the dinners have chunks. but when i find that she does good with all fruit chunks she will have all table food. she prefers table food anyways...have you tried baby food...YUCK! LOL good luck
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 10:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would wait a few weeks then try it again. If anything just skip the stage 3 and go straight to your food
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Apr. 8, 2009