baby spit up stuff

my lil man is almost 4 months old and he does spit up his food but also he seems to spit up clear fluid also, he does not cry when he spits up but im not sure what it is... does any one have nay input?

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 9:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both my girls were spit up machines. So gross! My doctor never seemed concerned and they've had a clean bill of health... If he doesn't seem bothered, then I'd say cleaning it up is your biggest worry.

EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My daughter did the same thing. It may be he has acid-reflux. My pediatrician recommended to add just a tsp. of cereal to each ounce of formula. She stopped spitting up, and she started sleeping better too!
    kelseysmom0327

Answer by kelseysmom0327 at 9:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• It could be reflux, but he'd probably be fussy because of it. I wouldn't add cereal to a bottle unless doc recommends it.
    Anonymous

• Well i agree with all 3 answers! If it doesnt seem to bother him, you may not have to worry about it. But my daughter did the same thing, and i worried all the time, because she was so tiny all the time. The dr didnt seemed to concerned because she was gaining weight just slow. But i pressed the issue and took her to a gastroentologist (sp) on my own and they told me her belly wasnt emptying and gave me meds for her, it worked for 2 weeks but started up again! I was so upset. Finally one day my hubby and i tried regular milk (because she spit up EVERY time we gave her formula) much to our surpise...NO SPIT UP! we were even bouncing her all over the place and NONE! so we gradually switched at 6 months, the dr told me if she keeps it down she is getting more nutrients than spittin her formula back up! have you tried to switch formula? we did 6 diff kinds! but it could be the formula too! sorry for the long answer! GL
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 9:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My son did this at about 3 months and I let it go for almost a month he started to loose weight and his pedi at the time didnt seem to be bothered but I was.. He just stopped eating one day and I rushed him to the ER and after a long night there we were told he was going to have to have surgery to fix it.. It's a condition called Pyloric Stenosis I had never heard of it til my son had it.. They say its most common in boys and even more in first born boys.. I would take him to the doctor and not let it go on for long... Unless it is truely just spit up.. There is a huge difference in spit up and vomite.. My son never cried because of it either heck unless we were holding him we wouldnt notice he had thrown up til we looked at him and he had it all over him.. Message me and I'll talk to you more about it and maybe help you figure out if it's really Pyloric Stenosis or just spit up..
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 10:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My son spits up a lot too. He is four months and is only in the 25 percential for his weight, but hes not underweight and the doctor isnt concerned about it. Some days he does fine and others it seems like all he does is spit up everything. But since he doesnt fuss and is still growing and gaining its fine. My doc told me even though hes only 4 months that I could start him on some veggies and fruits. So far I have only done sweet potatos. He spits those up too but loves um. Its pretty much more of a hassle for us than it is them. He doesn't mind it. I would try a different formula or talk to your doctor, my son is already on a soy formula.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 11:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• As long as it's not coming out his nose and he's not fussing too much,i'd say it is basic reflux. my little man has gerd and he vomits from his mouthand nose across the room very violently. doc put him on reflux med and told me to elevate his bed, put him on his left side to sleep, and thicken his formula with 1 tbsp of cereal per oz of formula. it seems like a lot to do . It is and it takes alot of getting used to,but unless you talk to your ds ped i would wait before doing the cereal. get a dianosis first.
    pasmommy

Answer by pasmommy at 1:12 AM on Apr. 8, 2009