Sleep walking

My son is 20 months old and when I get up in the middle of the night and check on him he is always sleeping somewhere else like in the living room or hallways or another place in his room besides the bed and I know he's not waking up scared cuz then he would come get me. So can it be sleep walking or something else? Should I ask my doctor or not worry about it?

Mrs.Jolly

Asked by Mrs.Jolly at 9:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldnt worry about it. All 3 of my kids have been doing that since they were toddlers (they are 9,10 and 11 now). As they've gotten older it has gotten less, majority of the time they stay in there beds now. They dont get scared because they know there surroundings and are comfortable no matter where they sleep. I have caught my daughter sleep walking a few times though usually she is in the middle of a bad dream and comes to us, gets a hug and then goes right back to bed...no problem.
    Triscuit

Answer by Triscuit at 10:06 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I WOULD worry about it.
    If he is waking up and just finding some place else to sleep or just wandering around bored until he lays down and sleeps where he is... what else is he getting into before he goes back to sleep? How soon will he start getting into dangerous trouble or opening the front door while you are sound asleep?
    If he is truly sleep walking, he can still hurt himself. Many people who sleep walk open cupboards, doors, make and eat food while asleep. Anything that someone can do while awake, sleepwalkers can do while asleep.

You can' t really stop it but you can confine him to his room at night with a baby gate or even a lock on the door - this is one of the few times that can be necessary. Another option is an alarm that hangs on his door knob. These are usually sold for hotel travelers. When the knob is turned, the alarm goes off, waking YOU so you can keep him safe.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:00 AM on Apr. 8, 2009