Allowance or no Allowance?

My husband and I are going back and forth on whether or not to start giving our seven year old allowance for chores he does around the house. I am against the idea, but he is all for it. Right now our son enjoys helping out around the house. I don't want him to start doing it only for a reward. Who's with me?

susan_marie

Asked by susan_marie at 9:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids get an allowance, but they also are required to spend their own money on bday presents for friends. They are 6 1/2 and almost 9. The part that sucks is that now I do hear, "If I do it, how much are you gonna pay me?" I think I've finally gotten it through that allowance is a choice I make every payday and you may or may not get it depending on behavior, helping around house, and grades...
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 9:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Oh yeah, and if (especially with my daughter) they want clothing that's brand name or special in some way, I'll only get it if they're able to pay the difference between the "normal" cost and the brand name cost...
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 9:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• If he enjoys doing it and is already doing it, I dont see a need to pay him.

you might compromise with your hubby and pay him for extra chores....or even maybe set up a different kind of reward like - hey you did all your chores this week without being asked, would you like to go to a movie? something like that.

remind him that if you start the allowance now, you will have to keep it going.....
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My Hubby and I agree that they earn their place in our family, they have an obligation to help make things work here.... We feed, cloth, love, care for, nurture, and try to teach them right from wrong... I don't think money for doing things that they are going to have to do for themselves one day is going to teach them anything.. Maybe to expect people to hand them something everytime they do something, thats not right to us so NO, we don't believe in allowance...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 10:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Our kids don't get allowance. For one, we couldn't afford it with 4 kids but mostly it's because they are expected to help out. We are a family and all live here and it is everyone's responsibility to take care of the house, not just mine.
    And, like I tell them, I don't get paid to do chores so neither do they. When they get older we'll probably start doing some kind of extra chore thing that they could earn money for (like cutting the grass and washing windows).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My kids are still young but we're not going to do the whole "allowance" thing with them. Like others have said...if they go above and beyond what is asked then they can earn some money.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Basic chores such as picking up after themselves, taking out garbage etc are just expected at our house. Your payment? I let you live here! Now extras, like vacuming out the van or cleaning out the basement or garage we do give a monitary reward. Happy medium.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:56 AM on Apr. 8, 2009