Is it better to run in the morning to get your metabolism going for the day? Or does it not matter what time of day you do it?

LuvsDanika

Asked by LuvsDanika at 9:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Running should be fine in the morning, but keep in mind that the body needs protein so that you don't lose muscle while being a runner. While runners often have very lean bodies, no fat, you will also find religious runners also begin to lose muscle, which to me is unattractive and not healthy, b/c your muscles are what holds the skeleton together and keeps the bones from breaking.

When you do cardio, the body takes from the sugar in the body. When that is depleted, it goes to the muscle to get energy.

The way to handle this is to have a good protein filled breakfast (boiled egg is only 90 cals), (7 almonds are about 50 or so cals), and fruit like an apple that will give you the carbs to have the energy to run, and a banana that will provide potassium to keep from having muscle cramps.

Eat early enough to digest and also water to get hydrated before the run. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:52 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I would say so.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Running anytime is just as good at night or during the day, it burn the same calories! But its way better in the morning since you wont have the chance to skip your workout later, due to being tired or no time. And it helps make you feel great all day long. At night is a great way to fall asleep as long as you do it at least a hour or so before bed to let your body unwind and shut down!!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I don't know. I do it in the morning to get it done and over with. I hate exercising, but exercising the first thing in the morning REALLY helps me so I don't have to dwell and think about it all day.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 1:40 AM on Apr. 9, 2009