Question to Non-Christians -but if Christians answer please no bashing....

this is piggy backing off an earlier question to non-Christians that basically asked if you'd ever been a Christian, did you understand it, and did you feel it? To those that answered yes.. and there were several.. what was it that made you leave. If you're a Christian who walked away and returned what made you walk away.

This is just info I'm curious about.. I know what made me walk away and I know what made me come back.... I've heard other people's stories and wanted to know some of your reasons... again please no bashing and be respectful of other peoples answers. Thanks.

bonn777

Asked by bonn777 at 9:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i think many people walk away cuz of guilt. i know thats why i back slid. if you notice alot of them say cuz sin came so easy, but if you truelly look at it thats not it at all, its that you open your eyes and see the trueth, the sin of this world. i came back cuz of my kids i dont ever want them to think that its okay to back slid and believe when they want to cuz these are the end of days, and he can come back tomorrow or 10 years from now. i want my kids to make it to heaven, i cant stand the thought that they wont.
    baby-cakes

Answer by baby-cakes at 9:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Well, since I have made it clear that I am spirtualist, I am not sure if you want me to answer or not, but I will anyway. I got tired of seeing all the contradiction. Two religions that supposedly follow the same bible couldn't even agree on how things went, and yet they still tried to lead me to believe that those who didn't follow the bible were evil and would go to hell. Ok, what about all those people who died before chrsit ever even came to Earth? Are they all in hell? I just began to realize that Chritianity is not the oldest religion in the world, and it may not be right for me or right in general.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I did, and I do understand what you feel. But as I learnt biology, physics, history etc the stories in the bible stopped making any sense to me, and I started seeing them as just stories, legends put together in one book, also as I observed and listened to people who believe in God I noticed that it makes them feel great but also thought that any god idea may have been created by people for people in order to handle hardships, to explain unknown but also use it on the naive ones to gain power, so I slowly became agnostic and then atheist. Those changes happened when I was a teenager, and then when I was in my 20' and was engaged I was really pressured by my future in-laws to go to church. It struck me then that they didn't care that I was smart, kind person who had so much to offer, they just wanted me to show up at the church for the service, the pressure from them was ridiculous. I broke up with the guy.

BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 9:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• People tend to think if they are considered smart by earth standards then they are smart all the way around. Ego is the main thing that gets in the way from what i see around here. Plus anger.
    Anonymous

• anon954 - what does that have to do with why they left Christianity?
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• For me it was growing up and beginning to see the hypocracy and backbiting, the sneering and groveling, the greed and the determination to get an ever higher and higher place in the church, and using other people to do it, the pettiness and meanness that went on, the way the more affluent a person appeared to be the better they were treated and the more "perks" they received from the church and the more respect they got, regardless of whether they acted in a loving and Christ-like manner the other 6 days of the week, and sometimes even at church.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:09 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Hmmm. Well, I consider myself "christian" but not affiliated with any church at this time.

I walked away from Catholicism because I felt the Church was hypocritical. I have visited several different Christian churches in my area, but have not found myself comfortable with any of them because I am not a Bible literalist and because I strongly disagree with their stances on social issues.

I've started exploring Episcopalianism because a new church is being built in my area, and so far it seems to suit my sensibilities.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:10 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I now view religion as if it were a multi-level marketing scheme. Amway, Meleleuca- whatever. The organizations fund themselves rather than the work that is supposed to be the work of the church. Lot of talk about grace without the work of spreading that grace around. It's disappointing.
    Anonymous

• I walked away from the church after repeatedly being burned again and again by churches I was either a) a member of or b) worked for (that's for another post, LOL). I started studying Paganism and Wicca. I loved the ideals in their belief systems. I was a solitary witch, and had no one to "show me the ropes" so to speak. I learned everything from books. I wasn't very good either. When I did a spell it would either not work or backfire. After the traditional year and a day, I left Wicca. I had a lot of soul searching to do. Then a good friend led me to a song by Nichole Nordeman entitled "To Know You". The first time I heard it, I cried my eyes out. I realized that day that the reason I wasn't a very good witch was because that wasn't what was in my heart. God was. So I returned to Jesus (although not the church) and have been content ever since.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I grew up in church, walked away a few times. I got into almost every religion that you can think of, buddism, judaism, and the muslim religion. I also became a "witch" and satanist. I was looking for answers that I "felt" I wasn't getting from church/God. I came back to God, he's the truth and the way. I don't follow any standard religion because there are SO many differant views. I follow the BIBLE, I believe that God came to earth in the form of man and his name is Jeseus. I believe that Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice, his life, for us for our sins, that he was buried and rose again.
    GmaPam7257

Answer by GmaPam7257 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2009