When did you start to put a pillow and blanket in the crib with your baby?

My daughter just turned 11 months, and I am not sure when i will feel comfortable with leaving those items in her crib all night. She has been wearing the wearable blankets, but they soon wont fit! She sleeps with a little stuffed duck (her security blanket). I know they say not to put a pillow and or blanket in to a certin age, but I'm not sure of that age. I am not concerned about a pillow, because i know babies dont need them, but i dont want her to get cold. We turn our heat back at night only to 70, i know thats not really enough to make her cold, but i still worry about it. So when did you start to leave blankets in with you children?

Also, she has been rolling over completely since she was 4 months. I know that they say a baby that can roll wont let themselves be suffocated, but i am a worry wort! I dont want anything to happen to my baby girl! Thanks!!!!

babymaddy

Asked by babymaddy at 9:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you're worried about her getting trapped, give her a blanket with holes in it. Like the one my DD is sleeping with right now is one her grandmother knitted for her...I think that's what its called. I don't know much about knitting. I guess its called an afghan.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:08 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I've been putting a pillow in my DD crib since she was born. She usually kicks it off her anyways. Plus her doctor told me at her 1 mon. checkup I could put a small pillow in there b/c she kept spitting up a lot in her sleep. So, your 11 mon. old should be fine!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Our daughter has always had a blanket in her bed. As for the pillow most babies don't like them and it also puts strain on their neck and back. Its best to just give them a blanket. She is plenty old enough and if she is rolling over you just check on her at night to make sure she hasn't gotten her blanket bunched up or anything. She will be fine.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My daughter is 9 months old and I always put a blanket in there with her. I tuck it in the sides of the crib so when she moves and rolls over it stays in place.
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 9:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Oh yeah, I meant to add, that my DD didn't like the pillow so we don't even use one.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• my son has always had a blanket in his crib since day one. He's almost 13 months and still don't have a pillow.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My 6 week old sleeps with a blanket. Its a bit chilly in her room and she does fine with it. I took it in to the sides of the bed.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:59 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• We have always used a blanket. My DD wouldn't fall asleep unless she had one wrapped around her, even in the summer :) She's almost 11 months, I'm sure your baby will be fine. I don't know about pillows, though. I don't think babies need them.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Thats the other thing, she is so all over the place! i put her down one way and she is at the other end and upside down before i go to bed! sometimes she plays before she falls asleep! So do you suggest that i tuck it? do you think that will help her to stay in "one" spot? I dont want her to get trapped under it! LOL like i said i'm a worry wort! I hate it!!!! Thank you ladies!!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 10:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• my DD has been sleeping with a blanket and a little bear since she was home from the hospital. she's 9 months now and rolls all over the place in her sleep, she brings the blanket with her. I have a video monitor and always check on her, each time in a differ spot with the blanket. I wouldn't worry about giving your DD a blanket
    Kimora_neko

Answer by Kimora_neko at 11:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2009