First time in daycare?!

My 7 month old just started daycare. I work in the other part w/ the preschoolers. He is not used to being w/o me. I co-sleep. I hold him a lot...or I'm close & he can see what I'm doing at home. I am having really bad separation anxiety. I only get to see him for 20 mins. or so during the day. The first day I could hear him screaming. He's been doing better. But I'm really depressed b/c I was a SAHM and I miss my baby! He goes to sleep as soon as we go home. I hate the fact that other people are taking care of my baby. I know we both need time to adjust, but I'm sad all day long. I cry when I get home. I cry when I have to leave him & go back to my class. He looks stressed out, pale, & has red eyes. I know he is being taken care of by very nice ladies, but I feel so bad for him. I don't want to be around these other kids & get their sickly germs and then get my baby sick. Do I need any vaccines b/c I'm around kids all day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You no? I'm assuming your child already has them because he's in daycare. You both will adjust. He'll start becoming social and making friends. It's great that your providing for you family. He can sense that your stressed out, so try to be calm. Take a blanket with him that smells like you, they should allow that. Just be patient. And remember other people aren't raising your child, it's the same concept as kindergaurdan.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 9:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Ok if you don't want him around other kids then get him out of daycare and stay home. You can't protect him or yourself from every germ. As for his crying, its mostly due to you not being able to cut the cord. Co-sleeping and always being near him is going to make him extremely dependent on you for everything forever. He needs to learn that you will be back and that just because you go doesn't mean your not coming back. He will adjust and you either need to stay home or suck it up for the sake of your son.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My only suggestion is to TRY and break all habits of being with him 24/7. i know it is hard, but it is probably harder on him. and if you have to work and cant be with him, you need to do it for him. And there really isnt anything you can do about being around sick kids all day, your in a daycare and that is what they are. I know the little girl i watch started daycare 2 days a week about a month ago, and since then my little girl has been sick! it pisses me off, but i dont have a choice i cant not keep her because i need the money and i love the little girl. but if you have to work and this is what you choose you need to try and stay away from him for a couple days to get him get used to being away from you, because remember it is worse on you than him! and it makes it that much harder on the ladies that take care of him...no one wants a fussy baby all day! good luck
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 9:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Co-sleeping isn't going to make him dependent on your forever. That one's pretty bogus. He cries because he's 7 months old and mommy isn't there. Think about it, he spent more time in the womb than he has outside of it. You would be a little shaken up too right? It might not hurt to get a bear or something that can record your voice for when you are away. My son has a "goodnight bear" that records a message that he can play back. I haven't had to leave him anywhere other than my MIL's for a few hours, but it helped her get him to settle down when he was feeling confused and unsure of what was going on. To suddenly stop co-sleeping and holding him on top of leaving him with strangers would probably be what would make him co-dependent. It's going to take time. You may want to request an extra day off or so to help the process along. It will be worth it in the end.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 1:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• As far as vaccines go, I wouldn't be horribly concerned. I mean unless there is a documented case of something in your area, then I would want to be vaccinated. I suggest you try to find out if there are any cases documented in your area, or close by and go by that. Other than that it's just about keeping your ears open so you know what to protect yourself from.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 1:47 AM on Apr. 8, 2009