Did you/do you co-sleep with your infant/child? Pros/Cons?

My friend is thinking about doing that when she has her baby. She didn't with the first two, but for some reason (I think it's because this one is her last and she's single/lonely), she's thinking about co-sleeping.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My husband and I would never do that. We both are wild sleepers. If I was forced to, I would get one of the co-sleeper crib thingys
    Anonymous

• when we finally got to bring Talon home, he took to his crib right away. I think this is because he was alone in a hospital NICU bed for a long time. there were times when he'd wake up early and we'd take him in our bed for a few extra hours...just to snuggle like crazy since we'd been without him for so long... I don't reccommend it really though. not all the time anyway, I understand her situation...but if it goes on for too long it's really hard to break the habit and baby won't sleep by itself
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 10:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I co sleep. It was just easier if my baby was in bed with me. but breaking them of it can be extremely hard, so make sure she's committed before she starts it
    Anonymous

• Did it. Con: Had to move to the guest room to do it.

Pro: No more sharing a bed with my snoring, blanket hogging husband. I think separate bedrooms might save a lot of marriages!

Seriously...it worked wonderfully here.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:06 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I never have. I have a 5yr old and a two month old. I think co-sleeping puts your child at a higher risk for SIDS. People that I know that co-slept are now wishing they had never started because they can't get their 6,7,10 yr olds to sleep in their beds. It's not something I would start up. I can't really think if any valid pros to co-sleeping. Not having to get up to feed your baby and not having to actually try to let your child fall asleep on their own are pros considered by some but I don't see either as  good reasons to co-sleep.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I did it the first couple days. When we were in the hospital and then i would try to put her down in her bassinett but she wouldnt sleep but 5 mins so i would sleep with her next to me. but after about two weeks of not getting GOOD sleep and knowing that i was about to shut down, i had to break down and put her in her bassinett. i did sleep with her right next to my bed for about 5 months, but that was also because her room was too hot due to summer months and our rooms are upstairs and we had AC unit in our room. but i didnt mind that i was still close, and it was still easy to put her in her crib when it came time to doing so. so i would suggest that to your friend! because when she does find a "lover" it is going to be HARD to get her baby out of bed for that person, and it just isnt right to do your business with them in bed too! LOL
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 10:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I never co-slept with my daughter... I have just heard too many stories about babies being smothered by their mom or dad rolling on top of them. I was too scared to do it! They say that when co-sleeping you are aware that the baby is in the bed even in your sleep...I don't see how though. I think mom's are so exhausted that they would just continue to sleep.
    Anonymous

• I coslept for 14 months. I was single at the time. Any time my daughter would move I would wake up, so I never worried about rolling over on her. It worked out great for us, and I had no issue moving her to her bed. She's 3 now. She occasionally sleeps in my bed when my husband is deployed, but I have never had an issue with her not wanting to sleep in her own bed. Also, we coslept at night, but she always napped in her crib, I think that made the move easier for her. Now that I'm married, I won't cosleep with the next child. My husband rolls around too much and he is a HEAVY sleeper. One time my daughter was sleeping on the floor of our room (mold in her room) and she started crying, he didn't even wake up... SO we'll get an Arm's Reach Cosleeper. I think most of the smothering deaths associated with cosleeping involves parents who have been drinking or taking sleeping meds. I loved cosleeping, great for breastfeeding.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My husband and I decided way before having kids that we would never co-sleep. We would never have our child(ren) share a bed with us, not even when they're sick. Our room is our private getaway. It's ours and ours only. The kids have their own room. Now if they have a nightmare, I will walk them back to their room and sit with them for a short amount of time, but, they will never sleep with us. When they were infants, they still never slept anywhere other than their crib. Not even a basinett. We wanted them to begin as early as possible getting used to their crib and their rooms. We felt if we had them in a basinett then a crib, it would confuse them or they would get used to the basinett first, and then have a hard time transitioning to the crib. Things have worked out so far and they sleep very well. We have no troubles getting them out of our bed b/c they were never there to begin with.
    Anonymous

• I co-sleep if I have to... It wasnt a choice my son got sick and was vomiting and I wouldnt have been able to live with my self if he choked and I didnt know til it was to late so while he was sick he slept with me on the couch so there was not threat of rolling over on him that way.. Now he sleeps great in his bed most the time.. There are those night when he goes to sleep way to early and wakes up at 4am and I will lay him down with me and my husband and get a few extra hours of sleep but other then that it's not something I do or would do often.. Yes you are aware of the baby but that means your not sleeping well so it does no good in the end.... I agree its a hard habit to break my 18 month old niece still co-sleeps
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 10:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2009