How can I get my son to stop throwing fits?

My son is very bad with temper tantrums. If he doesn't want to do something he throws a fit. I mean he throws a "kicking , screaming, banging his head against things" kinda fit. It's horrible. I have tried sitting him in time out, Making him sit with me, holding therepy, I even put a playpin in the living room so I could stick him in there when he starts his fits, I know it sounds mean. but I'm at my wits end with him. I love my son with all my heart and wouldn't do a thing that could hurt my baby boy, he's only two but I don't know what to do about him.

mysoldier5

Asked by mysoldier5 at 10:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried telling him "I know you are frustrated. I know you don't want to _______, but this is what we need to do right now."? Sometimes that helps. The child is frustrated and doesn't know how to express that other than throwing a fit at that age. Letting him know you understand he is not happy might help.

Also, do you give him a lot of attention when he throws a fit? My oldest threw a lot of fits. I found that if I ignored them rather than coddling him or giving in to the fits he began throwing a fit less often, as it didn't yield the result he was looking for.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 10:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Oh yes, that was our very first attempt when it first started.
    mysoldier5

Answer by mysoldier5 at 10:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Our youngest (20 months) throws small fits (nothing like his older brother did). When my husband deals with him he usually tells him "No" firmly. If the fit continues he takes him and puts him in his bed and tells him he's going to stay there until he's done. And then he leaves him there.

I didn't want to use the crib as punishment. The crib/bed should be a calm peaceful place for sleeping. I didn't want the bed to be associated with punishment. So I don't like to do that, but I have done it on occasion for the sake of my own sanity.

Does he throw fits at random times, or is it possible that he's either hungry or tired? All of my kids get cranky and ill behaved if they are hungry. When everyone's grumpy like that I offer a snack of proteins and fruit. The snack often helps, even with the youngest.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 10:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• He just turned two last month, we have a toddler bed where he sleeps at night I haven't used his crib in a couple months. He just always seems to throw fits when he doesn't get his way. When someone in the house is eating he always wants there food wheather he has his own or not..lol.
    I tell him NO constantly, And that is what got him into hitting. Thanks for your help though, I will try some of you suggestions, and pray they help.
    mysoldier5

Answer by mysoldier5 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I wish I had a magic cure for you. My oldest has evil tantrums so I have a really good idea what your life is like. Hopefully you will find a way to work it out in time.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• lol....me to. thanks for all your help.
    mysoldier5

Answer by mysoldier5 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• What has worked for me is alot of redirection. My son has just started hitting and kicking me. If he does it I firmly take a hold of what he is hurting me with and say stop. I also ignore him for a little bit until he stops his attitude. Im not big on spanking but if he hurts me, that is not going to be tolerated.
    jjsouthard

Answer by jjsouthard at 12:11 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• when my son throws them (he just turned 3) , i carry him in his room and say "you can come out when you're done, I dont want to hear this ugly noise. when you can talk like a big boy, come talk to me" i set him on his bed, and walk out and shut the door. he's usually out within 5 mins, and then we work things out when hes gotten the frustration out. if he comes out still crying then i jsut do it again, until he gets the point. good luck.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 12:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2009