SD curious about Menstration....

8yr SD last night told me that there was red when she wiped. SD had the toilet paper in her hand, so I asked her to show it to me. I didnt see anything, but I told SD we would talk about it later. SD also said that she had told BM the night before. So, I text BM to let her know & if BM wanted me to talk with SD or let BM be the one to talk with SD. BM called & said that SD already knew that a period was part of being a girl & that you bleed. BM didn't want to get really deep into the talk, but BM was comfortable w/ me telling SD that if she was starting there would be blood in her panties. So, I talked to SD some last night. I told her that it was our bodies cleaning themselves out. BM doesnt want to have the sex/baby talk. I told her that there can be cramping & explained that it was your muscles tightening.

continued below...

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 10:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She's 8. She must at LEAST know that babies grow in mommies. Tell her that girls have a special place to grow babies, and if there is a baby in there it needs that blood to grow, but if there isn't a baby there, it doesn't need it, which is why the body gets rid of it. If she asks about how the baby gets there tell her to ask her BM more questions in regards to that unless you want to just spill it...or figure out a way to tell it without telling too much for an 8 year old. "When people are married - or dating if you are more liberal I guess - a mommy and daddy work together to start a baby growing." ..Somewhat general but maybe enough for her not to ask a whole lot right now.
    Anonymous

• I told her if she had any other questions she could ask me or BM. Well, tonight she asked me again, what it was. I said well you know that girls and boys are different (I compared to her brother) and she said yeah. I said well this is just the way that our bodies clean our girly parts. I felt like I was just saying the same thing over and over. I didn;t really feel like I answered her question like she wanted. I asked if that answered her question. She said yes. I told her she could ask me anything anytime. I told her that she could even ask the same question if she didn't feel like I answered her right. She said that she would probably have a question again tomorrow night. lol. I just feel like she needs to hear the whole story, but since BM doesn't want to tell her about babies and sex, I dont know what to do....

What do you think I should do? What would you do?
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• ...Maybe she thought she saw blood because she is scared of getting it. My mom gave me pamplets when I was about 8 - that was the extent of anything I ever learned about my period and sex from her . Because the books said most girls get it older I didn't worry about it, but once they showed us the "girl issue" video in 5th grade I worried every single day till I got it in 8th grade that I would get it during school and be majorly embarrassed.
    Anonymous

• Get her a copy of "The Care and Keeping of You". Ask her to read it or read it with her. Then make it clear that you will answer any questions she has, anytime.

http://www.amazon.com/Care-Keeping-You-American-Library/dp/1562476661/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239165892&sr=8-1

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• She has to know what menstruation is and why it happens. I hate to say it but your cleaning answer is terrible. Blood is messy, how can that be considered cleaning? You don't have to go into the details of sex but what anon 1030 said about the blood being there to nourish a baby when the time comes is a great explanation. Only if she asks further questions would I go further. Obviously bio mom has no intentions of telling her what she needs to know and someone owes this girl the proper talk. Being a step parent sucks, you are always the bad guy in the eyes of bio mom no matter what.
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 1:14 AM on Apr. 8, 2009