SD curious about Menstration....

8yr SD last night told me that there was red when she wiped. SD had the toilet paper in her hand, so I asked her to show it to me. I didnt see anything, but I told SD we would talk about it later. SD also said that she had told BM the night before. So, I text BM to let her know & if BM wanted me to talk with SD or let BM be the one to talk with SD. BM called & said that SD already knew that a period was part of being a girl & that you bleed. BM didn't want to get really deep into the talk, but BM was comfortable w/ me telling SD that if she was starting there would be blood in her panties. So, I talked to SD some last night. I told her that it was our bodies cleaning themselves out. BM doesnt want to have the sex/baby talk. I told her that there can be cramping & explained that it was your muscles tightening.

continued below....

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 10:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Her mother should be doing what you are doing.But if she won't, you will have to.Good for you for caring about your sd.puts us "evil stepmoms" in a better light. :D
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 8:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I told her if she had any other questions she could ask me or BM. Well, tonight she asked me again, what it was. I said well you know that girls and boys are different (I compared to her brother) and she said yeah. I said well this is just the way that our bodies clean our girly parts. I felt like I was just saying the same thing over and over. I didn;t really feel like I answered her question like she wanted. I asked if that answered her question. She said yes. I told her she could ask me anything anytime. I told her that she could even ask the same question if she didn't feel like I answered her right. She said that she would probably have a question again tomorrow night. lol. I just feel like she needs to hear the whole story, but since BM doesn't want to tell her about babies and sex, I dont know what to do....

What do you think I should do? What would you do?
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would just tell her about puberty and how parts of her body will start developing and changing. I wouldn't bring up babies and sex because that's a whole other issue.
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 10:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• http://kidshealth.org/kid/grow/girlstuff/menstruation.html this might help you out
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 10:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2009