SD curious about Menstration....

8yr SD last night told me that there was red when she wiped. SD had the toilet paper in her hand, so I asked her to show it to me. I didnt see anything, but I told SD we would talk about it later. SD also said that she had told BM the night before. So, I text BM to let her know & if BM wanted me to talk with SD or let BM be the one to talk with SD. BM called & said that SD already knew that a period was part of being a girl & that you bleed. BM didn't want to get really deep into the talk, but BM was comfortable w/ me telling SD that if she was starting there would be blood in her panties. So, I talked to SD some last night. I told her that it was our bodies cleaning themselves out. BM doesnt want to have the sex/baby talk. I told her that there can be cramping & explained that it was your muscles tightening.

continued below...

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• There is a book called Body Drama and it is excelent. I suggest you get it for her. It covers everything!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:54 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I told her if she had any other questions she could ask me or BM. Well, tonight she asked me again, what it was. I said well you know that girls and boys are different (I compared to her brother) and she said yeah. I said well this is just the way that our bodies clean our girly parts. I felt like I was just saying the same thing over and over. I didn;t really feel like I answered her question like she wanted. I asked if that answered her question. She said yes. I told her she could ask me anything anytime. I told her that she could even ask the same question if she didn't feel like I answered her right. She said that she would probably have a question again tomorrow night. lol. I just feel like she needs to hear the whole story, but since BM doesn't want to tell her about babies and sex, I dont know what to do....

What do you think I should do? What would you do?
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• If she's having her period in school the school is going to tell her pretty soon. They had the first "sex" lesson in fifth grade here (and when I was a kid too) and you're only what 10 or 11 in fifth grade. Most girls don't get their period much earlier than that.

How old is she?
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 10:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• she isn't having her period yet. her mom started around 9 so she might be early but she seems very interested in finding out about it right now.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2009