Can I rest assured?

Lately when I check on my son at night I've been finding his face smushed up against the bumper. He's 8 months and more than capable of rolling away from it. I don't want to take the bumper out because he bumps his head a lot. So since he's able to roll and move his head is it okay to let him lay like that? If I move him he wakes up. Will he move automatically if he needs to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter does it as well and she moves when she wants to. He will either wake himself up if he has problems breathing or he will turn his head. He is still getting the oxygen he needs so let him be or try moving the bumper pads up a little higher so his face isn't right on them but they are still there to protect his head and limbs from the rails.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I think at 8 months you're probably ok, but I thought they were saying don't use bumpers anymore? That's what I read before my dd was born. My girls always did fine without them.
    Anonymous

• I took my daughter's bumper out when she was 5 months old because of all the rolling around she did. One morning I went to check on her and her head had gotten under the bumper. I took them out immediately.
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 10:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I believe that they tell you to take the bumpers out after the baby is able to move over next to them... You can never be 100% too safe. And I live by "Better Safe than Sorry" I would rather a few bumps on the head, than for your child to get stuck on the bumper in the middle of the night.
    Anonymous

• I took my son's bumpers out when he was about 6 months old and getting to be active in the crib. I think it is time for you to remove the bumpers. I am not worried about him smothering himself, I am more worried about him getting trapped under the bumper. My son bangs his head a lot in the crib now, but has never once banged his head hard enough to wake up or result in an injury. He's almost 10 months old now.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• They make mesh bumpers so that the baby can breathe if their face is smashed up against it, like your son's case. You could definitely rest assured if you had one :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 11:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would take the bumper out... not because the risk of suffication... but at 8 months they can pull themselves to stand and they can use the bumper to stand up on and can fall out.... especially with how thick they make bumpers now... they make a nice step.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2009