Recommendations for new car seat

I want to switch my son to a convertible car seat instead of using the infant one. I am looking for one that can be used rear-facing and forward facing and can (hopefully) be used as a booster seat. Any recommendations on ones to get or ones to avoid?

Rachael420

Asked by Rachael420 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i love my britax boulevard, i have two!
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 10:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would stay away from the three in ones, they usually don't work well as a booster and are outgrown way too young and before kids are ready for a booster. depending on your budger I would look at the First Years True Fit which rearfaces to 35lbs and then harnesses until 65lbs so it will last your little one until they are ready for a booster. or and Evenflo Truimph Advanced. or if you can afford it the Britax boulevard or marathon are both great seats.
    austinsm0mmy

Answer by austinsm0mmy at 10:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I have Britax as well, but don't remember the model type. They are a little pricey, but you are able to use them longer because it can support up to 65 pounds where the other carseats usually stop at 45. They also recline which is good while it is still rear facing to allow your baby to sleep better.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I just bought evenfloe symphony. it goes up tp 100 lbs and covertable and reclines.
    DaryaK

Answer by DaryaK at 11:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I have an Evenflo Triumph. I would stay away from the all in ones too because as austinsm0mmy said they're often crappy in the booster area and chances are good it will be expired by the time you get to the booster part. Graco Safeseat 2 is ok, Britax is probably the best out there but there are others that do the job just as well.

Just make sure your child is ready for the milestones. Just because you can turn them forward at a year doesn't mean they're ready, keep them rear facing as long as is allowed by the manufacturer.
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 12:25 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I have both a Britax and a Graco, and the Britax is FAR better. It's easier to install (and install solidly), easier to latch the straps, and, especially, easier to unlatch the baby. The Graco drives me crazy whenever I try to get her out of the seat. The Britax has a more comfortable shape to it. Of course, there's a huge price difference between them.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 12:29 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't get a 3 in 1 seat. They aren't very good.
    I would get.... any of the Britax, the True Fit or Evenflo Triumph Advance... depending on what you can afford to spend. They are all good seats.
    Then later when you child has outgrown the convertible seat they can move on to something else... something like the Graco Nautalis (or whatever they have come out with in a few years)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:57 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I've also heard a lot of negative feedback on the 3 in 1's. I highly recommend the True Fit. It RF to 35 and FF to 65. At that point, you can buy an inexpensive booster. Or, you can get a Scenera, which only FF to 40, and at THAT point, you can get a combo seat that FF and boosters, like the Nautilus.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:25 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• DaryaK, just keep in mind that the Symphony does not harness to 100 lbs. It does harness to 50, which is better then a lot of seats out there, but once the child is 50 lbs, it must be used as a booster.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:28 AM on Apr. 8, 2009