Food stamps and Government assistance

Why do most people feel the need to berate and belittle a person that gets food stamps? Don't you know that we already feel like less of a person as it is without your haughty stares and snide remarks? Do you think it feels good to be so poor that you have to have help to feed your own children? Do you really think that it's neccesary for a person in poverty to be regulated on what they should eat just because they are poor and have to have government assistance? I got fired from my job because according to my manager I wasn't making their coporation enough money and I haven't been able to find a job since. When I was working my hours were crap and I barely made enough to pay the bills. Guess what I have to have government assistance. I'm not trying to bleed the system or put everyone out I'm trying to keep my family alive. Why do you people have a problem with that. Would you rather see poor people starve?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• im on food stamps and i really don't care what people think they do not know anything about me
    Anonymous

• I work 40 hours a week as a CNA and I do recieve foodstamps I say if others don't like it to ki$$ my a$$ I am doing what I have to do to feed my family
    Anonymous

• People that are forced to do anything (no matter what that thing is) are generally not going to fill good about it. I don't think that means that they have a problem with giving, it simply means that they'd rather give on their own free will. After all, you know better than anyone else how much you can afford to give. And since it is your money/time/item you will take the time to give it to someone who is actually in need or to at least give it to a reliable charity.

Where as when the Government forces you to "give" they end up losing a lot of what is given, and giving a lot of it to people that don't actually need it.
    Anonymous

• The whole process of applying for food stamps is humiliating, as is holding up the line at the grocery store when your stupid card doesn't swipe correctly and everyone in line can see that you are holding a food stamp card. I guess the people here that make fun of and belittle food stamp recipients and are very small and mean people with nothing better to do. It must be nice to have never befallen hard times and I guess that stroke of luck gives them (in their minds) the right to be high and mighty.
    Anonymous

• thank you mamas I just feel so sad and hopeless when I read stuff like that. I already feel less then human without other mama's getting all high and mighty and making me feel like crap
    Anonymous

• I also get food stamps and I too had a hard time deciding to apply at first because of all the stigma attached to receiving food stamps... I still find myself holding the card a certain way as to not let it show... I appreciate the help I do get and I make sure to spend it wisely... I think all too often the images we conjure up of food stamp users are those with cart fulls of junk and convenience foods...
    To those who put us down , how nice it must be to not have to worry about whether if buying groceries will make you late or without money to pay your other bills... how fortunate to not have to question whether every item in your cart is absolutely necessary... to have to explain why the snacks are only for school and that you can't afford that extra box for home...
    Not everyone on food stamps wants to be on them.. We need them... In no way do I intend to stay on them forever.. they are a appreciated temporary help......
    jliv131

Answer by jliv131 at 11:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I get upset because some people "need" help & they can't get it because they were told they make $1.00 more than allowed for assistance!
    I also get upset at the one's who do get help & sell their cards for drugs or alcohol.
    I don't get upset with people who do use it because they got it for the right reasons.
    I was told I couldn't even have a car in my name to get food stamps yet others would drive up with gold rims on their cars & get "all" the help, welfare check, food stamps, insurance, etc. You follow them home, there's 10 cars in the driveway & yet they need help? Sell the cars, buy some food! One girl bragged about making over $2000 from the govt & she didn't even have kids or a job!
    Double standards if you ask me! Don't let others bother you, you know you have it for the right reason. That's what it's there for.
    jon6pat

Answer by jon6pat at 11:08 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I have no problem with people who are on food stamps, it is the people who feel as if the world owes them something because they are on welfare and food stamps. I have run into some pretty tacky people like that. I know that not everyone is like that, but unfortunately it is the tacky bitches that give those other people a bad name.
    vgmomof2grtkds

Answer by vgmomof2grtkds at 11:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I don't have a problem with people that get assistance and NEED it. I think if you get foodstamps because you can't afford food plus bills or whatever, you shouldn't be sitting on cafemom. The internet is not a necessity, it's luxury.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:00 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• I have no issues with people on foodstamps. I have been on them, 12 years ago when my hubby was first enlisting in the Air Force and the pay was horrible. He worked 2 jobs (Air Force and McDonalds after he got off work), and we spent it on the necessitites, but I do not see anything wrong with people buying occasional treats for their kids using food stamps. OCCASIONAL. Because no kid needs a bunch of junk food, but I say occasional for everyone not just those on FS. I also see nothing wrong with you having internet and being on cafemom because for all we know you have dial up internet for like $5 a month and can print more in money saving grocery coupons per month than you spend on the internet bill. Sorry so many people have made you feel bad!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2009